Social Media websites have it all figured out. They basically get you to over-share and then they sell you information to advertisers (Deer, 2018, April 13) who can bombard you with ads.
That is information related to your personal search habits. They can also make money from reselling your content, such as video, audio and images that you upload.
Instagram and Pinterest are now the new rising stars in Social Media, as they’re capitalizing on our habit to capture ever moment of our lives in video, audio and images.
Since you’re not an advertiser, how can you make money from your content that you place on Social Media?
Making money from Instagram and Pinterest – Be true to you to become popular on Social Media
The best way to make money from Instagram or Pinterest is to be popular!! And as this song points out, it’s all about you and not what you own…people will follow you if they are into you!!!
You’ll need more than 100,000 followers have a good chance of finding brands that would partner with them. A lot of Jamaicans already have huge followings, such as popular artiste like Spice and PopCaan (Grizzle, 2018, April 15), who have achieved the coveted one million followers on Instagram or Pinterest.
Be true to you, is all the song is saying and it’s the main way to grow your niche!
Making money from Instagram and Pinterest – Grow you following organically
But if you’re not an artiste, then you’ll have to do the following to grow you following on Instagram or Pinterest.
First, you need to find your niche. A niche is a special set of products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population. You need to create high-quality content that would appeal to people in your niche.
Make sure all images and video are vivid, high quality and relevant to the products you wish to promote in the following popular niches:
- Beauty products
- Fitness products
- Food and Dining
Then you need to do a lot of marketing. This not only involves using the right hashtags which you often to post more than 20 at time related to your niche to see significant traffic. You’ll also need to promote your Instagram or Pinterest account via traditional media and social media.
This may include doing a lot of SEO backlinking i.e. posting your link on social media or going to SEOclerks or fiverr (Deer, 2017, September 18) and paying a contractor anywhere from US$1 to US$5 to do it for you. An ad in the Sunday Newspaper with a shortened URL for 1 month to 3 months may be needed coupled with a good flyer campaign.
You may also need to do a lot of advertising online (Deer, 2017, March 26) as well as do flyer campaigns Internationally (Deer, 2017, August 26), especially in the US of A, Britain, China, Japan or other first world countries.
Partnering with other popular Social Medias personalities is also good. If you are friendly with them, and they are locally based, can ask them to do features and partnership with you, even giving you backlinks within their posts on their Instagram or Pinterest account.
Watch this video as it details how you can gain more followers for your Instagram and Pinterest Pages.
Finally if you want to get to that coveted 100,000 subscriber spot, you have to be the best in your niche. This you can achieve by observing other top influencers and see what they’re doing to engage their audience. This may involve:
- Colour choices for their theme
- How they address their followers
- Posting at consistent times
- Following those people who are in your niche
While you build your brand, you can also make money from selling your photographs online (Deer, 2016, August 29). It’ll take awhile, but with consistent high quality posting relevant to you niche and a lot of SEO help from SEOclerks or fiverr a well as advertising, you’ll reach that coveted spot in at least a year!!!!
Making money from Instagram and Pinterest – Pitching to local companies and Advertisers
After this, you can start looking for brands that will pay you for your Instagram and Pinterest posts.
If you have somehow managed to reach a million of followers, like popular artiste like Spice and PopCaan (Grizzle, 2018, April 15), you’ll already have brands approaching you for partnerships, so you probably don’t need to read on.
But for emerging influencers with at least 100,000 to 500,000 followers, you’ll have to do the legwork and look for local brands or marketing companies to partner with on your own. This can involve:
- Sending them email or letters pitching your advertising rates your Instagram or Pinterest page
- Advertising your Instagram or Pinterest page as mentioned above
- Placing traditional ads in the Local and Caribbean Newspapers
You’ll have to budget for the marketing, as it can be costly, running you up to JA$20000 or more for a three month ad campaign. Still there is hope; there are several influencer networks and influencer marketing platforms that accept micro-influencers.
Making money from Instagram and Pinterest – Networks and influencer marketing platforms
Once you join one of the following influencer networks and influencer marketing platforms, they will put you in touch with brands that are in need of relevant influencers.
Here are a few good networks and platforms you can sign up for:
- Buzzweb – At 5,000 followers, you could join to monetize your Instagram influence. The platform calculates your potential monthly earnings based on the size of your following. You can be a part of as many campaigns as you wish. After your post is approved, you get paid within 24 hours.
- Fullbottle – This influencer is more for Instagram and Pinterest accounts with high levels of engagement. On this platform, you don’t charge per post but, instead, get paid according to the engagement your content drives. You can bid a certain amount for every like on the Instagram post you create for a brand.
- Influence – They have more than 1,000 brands across 65+ countries. You can look for ones that you wish to partner with and directly submit an application to join their campaign.
- TapInfluence – They estimate your monthly earning potential once you create your profile. You choose the topics and subtopics you specialize in, and then set your rate. The platform matches you with brands whose needs match your niche.
- TRIBE – The process of working with brands on the platform is fairly simple. You just need to find brands that you already use and are a fan of. You can then create a post for that brand and submit it for review. Once approved, you get paid within 48 hours.
In summary, the difficult part about monetizing your Instagram account is growing your following to at least 100,000 to 500,000 active local users. Follow the tips provided here and within a year, you can overcome this challenge once you have consistent high quality posting relevant and you so a lot of SEO and advertising.
And once you have sufficient followers, you just need to connect with the right brands via Networks and influencer marketing platforms to start earning through Instagram and Pinterest
- Deer, L. (2016, August 29). How Jamaicans make US$100 monthly from Stock Photography. Retrieved from https://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2016/08/Jamaicans-US100-Stock-Photography.html
- Deer, L. (2017, March 26). How Jamaican can make money online – Flyer Distribution of Shortened URL Links in USA and other Countries. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/03/26/flyer-distribution-shortened-url-links/
- Deer, L. (2017, August 26). How Jamaicans can advertise for free locally and Internationally. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/08/26/jamaica-online-classifieds-ads/
- Deer, L. (2017, September 18). How Jamaicans can make US$1000 per month as a Freelancer. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/09/18/jamaican-freelancer/
- Deer, L. (2018, April 13). How the Facebook Data Scandal involving Cambridge Analytica is a Storm in a Teacup. Retrieved from https://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2018/04/Facebook-Cambridge-Analytica-Data-Scandal.html
- Grizzle, S. (2018, April 15). Follow The Money- The Earning Potential Of Social Media For Entertainers. Retrieved from http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/entertainment/20180415/follow-money-earning-potential-social-media-entertainers