So you are a Jamaican and you like Curry (Deer, 2017, June 25) and Goat! Then this Jamaican Curry Goat Stew recipe should hit the spot!!
The ingredients are as follows:
- 3lb goat meat, cut up in bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped and seeded
- 4oz Jamaican curry powder
- 1oz cooking oil
- 1oz ground black pepper
- 2tbsp salt
- 4 sprig thyme
- 1/2oz vinegar
- 6 pimento seeds
Cooking instructions are also very simple:
- Wash goat meat with vinegar and water.
- Rub in all the seasonings with goat meat and let it sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator
- Remove the seasoning from the goat meat.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil on high until it smells.
- Add 1oz curry powder to the hot oil.
- Stir curry powder in oil until the colour starts to change.
- Place the goat meat in the saucepan.
- Stir the meat in the hot oil for two minutes; be careful not to burn the meat.
- Add 1oz water to the pot, keep stirring until the meat looks like the muscles are tightening up.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add 2 cups of water to the meat in the saucepan.
- Cover the pot and let this stew simmer for 20 minutes.
- Check on the meat in the pot, stir again and add water to cover the meat.
- Simmer for another 20 minutes, and then check to see if the meat is medium soft. If it is so, add the seasoning you removed earlier to the pot.
- Let the stew simmer for another 15 minutes on a slightly lower heat (between medium and low).
Good to note that you can add cornmeal or bread crumbs to thicken the gravy. Also you can just boil it off until only the goat fat permeates the flavour of the stew. Adding potatoes to the pot the same time improves the flavour and texture of your gravy.
Sharing s caring so share this with as many of your friends as possible!