“We are fortunate to work with the world’s best developers and designers. Together, we have built an extensive and secure ecosystem of devices and services. We continue to make progress toward our vision to be the innovator of new mobile experiences that flow seamlessly and continuously wherever we go.”
DJ Koh, President and CEO of IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics, speaking at SDC19
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. on October 29, 2019 at the SDC19 (Samsung Developer Conference 2019), announced new ways its platforms will enable developers to introduce simpler, more powerful experiences to consumers around the world.
SDC19 showcases new ways for developers to scale their services across billions of devices through its extensive, secure and connected ecosystem. Here is a video showing highlights of these announcements.
Samsung shared its vision for the next era of mobile and connected living, offering inspiration to developers, enterprise leaders, and consumers through innovative experiences with the devices they rely on every day.
Creating Opportunities for Developers – Bixby Developer Studio at SDC19
To help consumers discover new ways Bixby can work with them to get things done more quickly and easily, Samsung launched Bixby Marketplace earlier this year, creating a way for developers to introduce their Bixby capsules to millions of Bixby users.
To make it easier for developers to create new experiences on its AI platform and ensure consumers have more intuitive experience, Samsung announced enhanced capabilities in the Bixby Developer Studio at SDC19.
- New Bixby Templates makes it easy for developers to create capsules using pre-existing forms so that they don’t have to start from scratch.
- Enhanced Bixby Views enable developers to build capsules with a consistent design even beyond smartphones—to televisions, tablets, smart watches and refrigerators.
- Developers can now register their capsules under Natural Language Categories. When users ask Bixby for help related to a category—such as radio, news, or navigation—Bixby suggests a capsule that can help them get what they need more quickly and easily, even without having to call out exact name of the capsule.
In the past six months, the size of the Bixby developer community has doubled. And starting in 2020, the Bixby Marketplace will expand gradually, enabling developers to offer their services across more Samsung devices.
SmartThings Hub (WASH) program – Open, Scalable AI and IoT Platforms
More consumers than ever are seeing how seamlessly connected devices and services can make everyday life easier.
Developers can scale their device and service offerings through Samsung’s IoT platform, SmartThings.
Already, developers and partners have brought connected experiences to more than 45 million monthly active users and thousands of compatible devices.
To help developers build on and integrate existing devices with the SmartThings platform, Samsung announced new capabilities for developers:
- The new Rules API brings to life more automated smart home experiences to reflect individual daily routines across a broad range of SmartThings devices.
- Samsung is launching the SmartThings Device SDK Beta program in early 2020 to enable more third-party manufacturers to create SmartThings-compatible devices.
The platform is expected to grow further with the Work as a SmartThings Hub (WASH) program.
WASH allows partners like network operators to embed SmartThings Hub software into their devices.
Samsung rewards Developers – Competitions and Rewards Galore
Samsung continues to invite developers to actively participate in its ecosystem and supports the developer community with several incentive programs—including:
- Best of Galaxy Store Award
- Samsung Mobile Design Competition
- Bixby DevJam
- Samsung Mobile Security Reward program
Samsung continued to refine the mobile experience to allow users to focus on what matters most to them.
One UI 2 includes new features that declutter the user interface as show in this video of the SDC19.
This makes it easier for people to interact naturally, while also making it easier on their eyes.
Samsung Galaxy Fold – Inspiring Developers with New Experiences Across Devices
Samsung is trying to make developer and the user experiences consistent across devices. To this end, Samsung is expanding the use of One UI 2 beyond smartphones to tablets, wearables, and new form factors, including foldables.
With the launch of Galaxy Fold, Samsung designed a first-of-its kind mobile experience that is much more than a foldable device. Samsung, alongside hundreds of developers and partners, created an entire foldable ecosystem that continues grow and opens up new possibilities to the mobile experience.
Here is a video introducing the Samsung Galaxy Fold…. more on this in future articles!!
As promised at SDC last year, Samsung will continue to explore a range of new form factors in the foldable category. And at SDC19, Samsung invited developers and users alike to join the exploration of exciting new use cases and user experiences.
Samsung Developers and Tizen – Investing in 8K technologies
Samsung has also announced new tools that make it easier for developers to bring new experiences across the nearly 100 million Smart TVs that are powered by Tizen.
- Wits automatically uploads a code edit to the TV, so developers can see their update almost immediately, significantly trimming development time.
- EasyST makes testing content playback much easier because developers don’t need to build their own test app to make sure their content is streaming as intended.
- TIFA (Tizen Identifier for Advertising) gives consumers the option to limit ad tracking or opt-out of targeted advertising
- Samsung is making Tizen TV OS available to third-party TV makers for the first time.End-to-End Security Built in Every Solution and Experience
- To deliver the best possible TV viewing experience, Samsung is also investing in 8K technologies. With AI ScaleNet, Samsung has made it possible to stream high-quality 8K videos on networks with lower bandwidth capabilities.
To deliver the best possible TV viewing experience, Samsung is also investing in 8K technologies.
With AI ScaleNet, Samsung has made it possible to stream high-quality 8K videos on networks with lower bandwidth capabilities.
Samsung offers the Knox SDK – Developing Trusted devices for Governments and Private Sector
Emerging technologies, such as IoT, AI and 5G, are bringing new capabilities and opportunities to the developer landscape. For Samsung, it means providing the community with the tools and programs necessary to deliver secure and reliable solutions.
Secure Development Lifecycle delivers systematic reviews at every phase of the development, supply chain, and manufacturing process. To give both developers and users peace of mind, Samsung offers the Knox SDK, allowing partners and app developers to integrate advanced security solutions to their apps and services.
In addition, Samsung has been working with German government agencies, especially BSI, and industry partners on developing a mobile-enabled eID for digital services to support customers and governments by developing a solid foundation for trusted identity services.
SDC19 – Developers are going to make bank in 2020
Samsung invites developers and partners on its journey to bring new and secure experiences to life.
For you viewing pleasure is the complete livestream of the full SDC19.
For more information about working with Samsung and the Samsung Developer Conference 2019, please visit sdc.developer.samsung.com.