There are various ways to make free International Calls to Landlines and Mobiles Anywhere in the World!
The most common is to use a VoIP App such as Skype, Viber or WhatsApp, which is very popular here in Jamaica and recently achieved (Deer, 2015) some 700 million Monthly Active users. Note thoughm that these are App-to-App VoIP Calls, not calls directly to Landlines or Mobile numbers!
However, now that the Ministry of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining has agreed with the Telecom Provider that the VoIP Provider must be registered like regular Telecoms Providers (Deer, December 2014) and pay to terminate calls on our local Telecom Providers Networks i.e. Digicel and LIME as we need the money.
Folks, it won’t be long before WhatsApp and other Apps that allow VoIP may be disconnected or force users to pay Termination fees to make International and Local Calls. This as VoIP Calls are actually routed over the International Switch to WhatsApp’s, Viber or Skype’s Servers abroad, even if the called party you’re calling is standing right beside you.
But what if the relative or friend you’re calling doesn’t have a smartphone to install any VoIP Apps and is in another country, such as the USA, Canada or the United Kingdom? How do you call them then?
Normally, as a Jamaican, you’d have to set up an International Calling plan on your phone (Deer, 2012). But as everybody in Jamaica is trying to save some money, spending JA$1000 to activate either a Digicel International 1000 or a LIME WorldPak 1200 Calling Plan on your smartphone to make International calls for JA$1 per minute seems so last decade.
So what can a Jamaican totin’ a smartphone do to make calls and not pay the hefty charges? Turns out there are some Apps for that.
Free Calls with MagicJack and Call+ – USA, Canada and everywhere else you can imagine
The first App, which is very popular in the Hidden Village of Swallowfield sandwiched between Arthur Wint Dr, near to the National Stadium and Old Hope Road is Free Calls with Magicjack (Deer, March 2014) now called MagicApp Free Calls. It’s fairly easy to set up and is available on both the Google Play Store and the Apple iTunes Store.
Unlike WhatsApp or other VoIP Apps, MagicApp Free Calls gives you a phone number that allows you to make calls to regular Landline and Cellphones Local or long distance the USA or Canada, even non-smartphones that are not running the MagicApp Free Calls!
The second App that I’m about to introduce you’ll really come to love and is completely unknown to the Ninjas of the Hidden Village of Swallowfield and in fact most Jamaicans. This is the Call+ FREE Calls to Real phones App (Broida, 2015) that is also available on both the Google Play Store and the Apple iTunes Store for smartphones.
The Call+ FREE Calls to Real phones App, like the MagicApp Free Calls, assigns you a number and also allows you to make calls to Landlines and Cell phones in the USA and Canada without the need for the recipient of the call to have the Call+ FREE Calls to Real phones App installed.
However, unlike MagicApp Free Calls, the Call+ FREE Calls to Real phones App literally opens up the world to you, allowing you to call virtually anywhere in the world for free. You’re not restricted to the USA or Canada as the list clearly shows:
- US, now including Hawaii (landlines and mobiles)
- Canada (landlines and mobiles)
- Brazil (Brasilia, Sao Paulo, Rio, Belo Horizonte only)
If there is a country that’s not in this list, you can still call them, but it’ll cost you, via an In-App purchase of bundles of minutes (Broida, 2014) using your Scotia VISA Debit Card or CIBC VISA Debit Card (Deer, 2012) of course:
- US$0.99 for 1 day unlimited Calling
- US$1.99 for 2 days unlimited Calling
- US$19.99 for 30 days unlimited Calling
If you averse to spending what effectively works out to JA$112 per day for unlimited International Calls around the world, then you have a way out. Call+ FREE Calls to Real phones has made deals with various partners with whom you can sign up for their service in exchange for days of service.
Here are a few examples of such service partnerships:
- Sign up for a trial with dating service Zoosk: 7 days
- Speak to a Quicken Loans rep: 3 days
- Buy Personal Creations customized holiday ornament: 7 days
Most of these are trial offers, some costing you a little cash, other just a slice of your time.
I’d recommend you pay, as some of these services harvest your personal information for sale to third-party Company’s intent on selling you even more stuff.
After all, JA$112 per day for unlimited International Calls around the world is far cheaper than spending JA$1000 to activate either a Digicel International 1000 or a LIME WorldPak 1200 Calling Plan on your smartphone!
Here’s the link:
- Deer, L. (2015, January 7). WhatsApp reaches 700 million Active Monthly Users – Double Blue Checkmarks from China, Japan and South Korea and Russia with Love. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/01/whatsapp-reaches-700-million-active.html
- Broida, R. (2015, January 4). Call+ App expands free landline calling to 16 countries. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/call-App-expands-free-landline-calling-to-16-countries/
- Deer, L. (2014, December 16). Minister Paulwell says VoIP Providers must Register to Terminate – Why WhatsApp may no longer be Free as IXP by January 2015, MNP by May 2015. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/12/minister-paulwell-says-voip-providers.html
- Broida, R. (2014, December 5) Call+ App provides free International calls. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/call-App-provides-free-International-calls/
- Deer, L. (2014, March 25). How to make Free USA and Canada Calls with Free Calls with Magicjack – MagicJack Stock buoyed by the coming of WhatsApp to VoIP Calling to Mobile and Landlines. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/03/how-to-make-free-usa-and-canada-calls.html
- Deer, L. (2012, May 21). How to set up an International Calling Plan for Digicel or LIME Prepaid and Postpaid. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/how-to-set-up-an-International-calling-plan-for-digicel-or-lime-prepaid-and-postpaid/
- Deer, L. (2012, February 13). How to use Scotia VISA Debit Card Online. Retrieved From http://www.geezam.com/how-to-use-scotia-visa-debit-card-online/