“Our users do not want complicated systems. They want something familiar from their work environment in the office, but also on a smartphone”
Alcatel OneTouch Chief Marketing Officer Dan Dery in a Press statement during the launch of the Alcatel OneTouch Pixi3
Cool gadgets come in multiple OS!
So it seems in the case of the Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 3, a budget smartphone (Boxall, 2015) with a split personality that was on display (Alcatel, 2015) at CES (Computer Electronics Show) 2015 in La Vegas, Nevada.
That split personality is on account of the fact that it’s available in one of three (3) different OS (Lee, 2015):
- Google Android
- Windows Phone
- Firefox OS
Alcatel just couldn’t choose one and so decided to become an OS agnostic brand (GSMArena, 2015) with their Pixi 3 line running these three OS. How they’ll control the performance may entirely be based on how well they tailored the appearance of the OS to work with the Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 3 budget hardware.
CES 2015 just ended a few weeks ago an MWC (Mobile World Congress) is on the horizon by (Dolcourt, 2015 January 6) Monday March 2nd 2015, making Alcatel’s showing of the Pixi 3 a showcase of what’s to come.
Alcatel OneTouch Pixi 3 – OS Agnostic comes in Four different Hardware Configurations
This as they’ve yet to publish any specs, save for the few that I’ve gathered from extensive research (McCormick, 2015). Aside from the choices of OS, it also comes in four (4) different screen sizes, with OS for each screen-size:
Based on all accounts, they all have the same specs, with some slight variations and a choice of nine (9) backplates (Betters, 2015) from black to pink.
One such being that all have 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) except the 3” which uses 3G for its Internet connectivity! Another is that the 3.5” version has a 1GHz Dual-Core Processor sporting a 5 megapixel camera whereas the 5” version runs on a 1GHz Quad-Core Processor and sports an 8 megapixel camera.
And no, it’s not related to the Palm Pixi (Musil, 2009) that was a complete failure back in September 2009. However, in light of the rise of Budget smartphones its failure may simply have been because as a concept budget smartphone, it was ahead of its time and marketed in the wrong part of the world.
Here’s the link:
- (2015, January 5). ALCATEL ONETOUCH at CES 2015: Opening Access to the Latest Technology to Everyone. Retrieved from http://www.alcatelonetouch.com/global-en/news/pressroom/ALCATEL_ONETOUCH_at_CES_2015.html#goStar
- Betters, E. (2015, January 6). Alcatel OneTouch PIXI 3 pictures and hands-on. Retrieved from http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132189-alcatel-onetouch-pixi-3-pictures-and-hands-on
- Boxall, A. (2015, January 2).CHOOSE YOUR OS: ALCATEL’S PIXI 3 PHONES COME WITH ANDROID, WINDOWS PHONE, OR FIREFOX. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/alcatel-onetouch-pixi-3-phones-give-you-a-choice-of-os/
- CNET News. (2015, January). The best of personal tech: Mobile World Congress 2015. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/mobile-world-congress-2015/
- Dolcourt, J. (2015, January 6). Alcatel’s OneTouch Pixi 3 is like a box of chocolates: You never know what you’re gonna get. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/alcatel-onetouch-pixi-3/
- Dolcourt, J. (2015, January 9). Smartphone showing at CES 2015 a preamble for huge MWC to come. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/smartphone-showing-at-ces-2015-a-preamble-for-mwc/
- GSMArena (2015, January 2). Alcatel’s OneTouch Pixi 3 series is OS-agnostic. Retrieved from http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatels_onetouch_pixi_3_series_is_osagnostic-news-10633.php
- (2013). Alcatel One Touch Pixi – Full phone specifications. Retrieved from http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_one_touch_pixi-5681.php
- Lee, A. (2015, January 2). Alcatel’s New Phone Is Not The Pixi You’re Looking For. Retrieved from http://readwrite.com/2015/01/02/alcatel-pixi-3-palm-android-windows-phone-firefox-smartphone
- McCormick, R. (2015, January 2). Alcatel’s new Pixi smartphone can run Windows, Android, or Firefox OS. Retrieved from http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/2/7479907/alcatels-pixi-smartphone-runs-windows-android-or-firefox-os
- Musil, S. (2009, September 8). Palm thinks small with new Pixi smartphone. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/palm-thinks-small-with-new-pixi-smartphone/