“With many people looking to upgrade from a feature phone to a smartphone for the first time, Lumia 435 and Lumia 532 provide a balance of features and power, while also bringing Windows Phone 8.1 experiences to new price points”
Microsoft Press Release announcing the US$81 Lumia 435 and the US$93 Lumia 532 on January 14th 2015
Microsoft has finally found a way to shoehorn Windows 8.1 into the cheapest dress possible. Now, they’re going on tour across the EU on the ultimate EuroTrip!
I’m of course talking about the odd couple of the US$81 Lumia 435 and the US$93 Lumia 532 that was announced on Wednesday January 14th 2015 (Savov, 2015). Officially the cheapest smartphone from Microsoft (Lomas, 2015) running Windows Phone 8.1 mobile OS to date.
Best of all, both of these smartphones are now officially on pre-order on Amazon since Sunday February 1 2015 (GSMArena, 2015) launching in the UK and the rest of Europe (Rahul, 2015), even France (Alan, 2015, February 1). Best of all, it’s officially going on sale on Sunday March 1st 2015.
Normally I’d do this article on my main blog, My Thoughts on Technology and Jamaica, but I think this smartphone is so special, that it deserves the advantage of an audience all of its own.
So MICO Wars gets the privilege of my review on the US$81 Lumia 435 and the US$93 Lumia 532, which albeit not as cheap as the cheapest feature phone, the US$29 Nokia 215 (Deer, 2015 January 29) with basic Internet and integrated Facebook and Twitter, still represent the Lumia Brand.
It’s also an indication that Microsoft isn’t giving up on Lumia or Windows Phone. So why should a cheaper smartphone be of interest to you? It’s all about the Apps, baby!
US$81 Lumia 435 and the US$93 Lumia 532 – Eurotrip that India bound got Microsoft’s Blessing
Granted, the Americans, who are more affluent and tech-centric, wouldn’t look twice on these smartphones. They’re way too cheap and not available on contract, making them smartphones for the not-so-well-to-do in American Society who tech-centric focus means that this smartphones and its features are a bit low (Alan, 2015 January 31) on the radar of most Americans.
Along with the US$29 Nokia 215, the US$81 Lumia 435 and the US$93 Lumia 532, again based on the specs (Tung, 2015) are really a part of Microsoft’s strategy to conquer India and counter-attack the Google Android One in the last untouched smartphone market (Deer, 2015 January 13) in Asia.
The specs are a clue as to the target market of these Budget smartphones. Both the Lumia 435 and the Lumia 532 sport a 4” 800 x 480 LCD display with 233 ppi pixel density. The design is complemented by a 1.2GHz Dual-Core Processor and runs on 1GB of RAM.
The paltry 8 GB Internal Storage indicates that this is definitely a budget smartphone, as 32 GB and up is the standard for the high-end smartphones. But the support for microSD Card up to 128 GB is phenomenal, indicating that budget smartphones makers are finally waking up to the fact that persons just want more memory.
Both smartphones have the same colour options:
Interestingly, Microsoft ponies up OneDrive subscription to a free 30 GB Cloud Storage (Deer, 2014 September 15), so you don’t necessarily have to get a microSD Card. Instead, you can opt to store your file in the Cloud.
Microsoft somehow bundles Skype inside of this thing allowing you to make Video Calls. Finally, Cortana the speaking Personal Assistant guides you with her sexy voice, making me wonder if Microsoft is trying to slowly raise the bar for what’s considered a Budget smartphone at sub-US$100 prices!
Microsoft raising the bar for a Budget smartphone with the Lumia 435 and the Lumia 532
Both smartphones are 3G capable, obvious as they’re both smartphones and as expected both have the exact same standard features of GPS, Accelerometer and proximity activated connection.
A 3.5mm jack and a good set of speaker suggesting that this smartphone can function as a mini jukebox. Support for MP3/WAV/AAC means you can play your own music as well as you can listen to FM Radio, very important if you are a Cricket Fan to catch some local vibes.
Internet access, the critical defining trait of most of today’s smartphones, is fully baked into this device. The 3G capabilities enable the smartphone to go anywhere 3G service is available. The users have the option of using Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n to access the Internet as well as the capability to turn into a hotspot for five (5) other devices.
They differ in terms of Processor, Camera and Battery Life specs as can be seen from the Table above.
The Lumia 532 uses a 1.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor and has a 5MP Camera as show in the table below. The dimensions are also different with the Lumia 435 having numbers of 118.1 x 64.7 x 11.7 mm (4.65 x 2.55 x 0.46 in) with a weight of 134.1 g (4.73 oz) and the Lumia 532 which has dimensions of 118.9 x 65.5 x 11.6 mm (4.68 x 2.58 x 0.46 in) and weighs 136.3 g (4.80 oz).
Also albeit they both have the same Li-Ion 1560 mAh battery, their standby times, Talk times and play time for music, albeit not meh, are that much different either. I guess the lab that did the testing just returned different results.
So will the US$81 Lumia 435 and the US$93 Lumia 532 defend Microosft’s wicket in India against the onslaught of the US$100 Google Android One and the coming of Xiaomi (Deer, 2015 January 19) and their Budget smartphones?
We’ll have to wait and see what happens when they launch in India and bowl their first Ball of the innings, turn to the Umpire and Cry, “Howzat”!
- Alan F. (2015, February 1). Amazon takes pre-orders in France for Microsoft Lumia 435 and Microsoft Lumia 532. Retrieved from
- Alan, F. (2015, January 31). Microsoft Lumia 435 is U.S. bound. Retrieved from http://www.phonearena.com/news/Microsoft-Lumia-435-is-U.S.-bound_id65431
- Callahan, J. (2015, February 1). Lumia 435 and 532 can now be pre-ordered in France via Amazon. Retrieved from http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia-435-and-532-can-now-be-pre-ordered-france-amazon
- Deer, L. (2014, September 15). Microsoft OneDrive finally Breaks Free – 10GB Uploading and Sharing with drag-and-drop that’s great for Streaming larger files. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/09/microsoft-onedrive-finally-breaks-free.html
- Deer, L. (2015, January 13). US$90 Samsung Z1 to launch in India – 1.2 billion Indians up for Grabs as Tizen OS hints competition against US$100 Google Android One. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/01/us90-samsung-z1-to-launch-in-india-12.html
- Deer, L. (2015, January 19). Xiaomi in India after success in China – Xiaomi Looks to the West as the World is theirs for the Taking. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/01/xiaomi-in-india-after-success-in-china.html
- Deer, L. (2015, January 29). US$29 Nokia 215 by Microsoft – How Microsoft’s Nokia Mobile division will conquer India and Developing World Countries. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/01/us29-nokia-215-by-microsoft-how.html
- GSMArena. (2015, February 1). Microsoft Lumia 435 goes on pre-order in the UK, ships March 1. Retrieved from http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_lumia_435_goes_on_preorder_in_the_uk_ships_march_1-news-11012.php
- Lomas, N. (2015, January 14). Microsoft Squeezes Windows Phone To $81 With Entry Level Lumia 435, $93 With Lumia 532. Retrieved from http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/14/lumia-435-lumia-532/
- Rahul, R. (2015, February 2). Microsoft Lumia 435 and Lumia 532 pre-order live in UK and EU. Retrieved from http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-lumia-435-lumia-532-pre-order-live-uk-eu-1486175
- Savov, V. (2015, January 14). Microsoft makes Windows Phone more affordable with new Lumia 435 and 532. Retrieved from http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/14/7544107/microsoft-lumia-435-532-launch-specs-price-release-date
- Tung, L. (2015, January 14). Microsoft’s super-cheap Lumia 435 and 532 ready to tangle with Android One. Retrieved from http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-super-cheap-lumia-435-and-532-ready-to-tangle-with-android-one/