“We’re really tailoring our service to die-hard voracious readers, and we’re servicing publishers to bring them this audience that we have”
The Avengers Civil War and the Secret Wars is on as Spider Man (Lancaster, 2015) (Marshall, 2015), is confirmed to coming to Marvel on loan from Sony Pictures. Also an updated movie schedule released on Monday February 9th, 2015 (Strom, 2015) lists all Marvel movies up to the year 2019.
Crossover craziness within the Marvel Cinematic World (Lancaster, 2015) and DC Comics in October announcing a slew of movies starting 2016 with “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” (Kooser, 2014), means it’s about time that you caught up with your comic book reading.
Scribd Comics, a division of San Francisco based Scribd, the popular start-up that sells bestseller books for e-readers like the Amazon Kindle and Tablets like the Apple iPads, has sensed the coming shift in both the Marvel and DC Cinematic Worlds.
US$9.00 p/m Scribd Comic Book subscription – 10,000 e-book Binge Button means no housework get’s done
So on Tuesday February 10th 2015, Scribd decided to serve up an unlimited supply of Comic Books (Mitroff, 2015) for only US$9.00 per month, dished out straight your smartphone or Tablet once you have the Scribd App.
This deal puts Scribd in direct competition with Marvel’s service, which already offers a US$10 per month unlimited Service and Amazon’s Comixology, which allows you to purchase individual comic issues, both in paperback as well as in e-book format!
They’ve has signed up deals with the following publishers to make it possible for you to get access to some 10,000 titles (Feeney, 2015) in a deal that’s being likened to having a Netflix of comic books on your Tablet or e-Reader:
- Boom! Studios
- IDW/Top Shelf
You also get a sampling of graphic novels from the following authors and publishers:
- Alan Moore
- Matt Fraction
- Gail Simone
- George R.R. Martin
- Harlequin Manga.
Not only will you be able to read the classics from the Silver and Golden Age and the latest, there will be comics taken from the Cinematic World, sorta like a Manga for popular Anime and TV Series:
- Adventure Time
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- My Little Pony
If you have the Scribd App on your Tablet, you’ll be able to do a lot of cool things, like search by title, publisher, character and even your favourite Author.
Craving for more?
A Binge Button at the end of each comic book (Plaugic, 2015) allows you to start reading the next in the series…..and never get any housework done!
Scribd, my day is made as you’ve fulfilled my Comic Bok fantasies all over again!
Here’s the link:
- Feeney, N. (2015, February 11). Scribd Launches Its ‘Netflix for Comics’ With More Than 10,000 Titles. Retrieved from http://time.com/3704699/netflix-for-comics-scribd/
- Kooser, A. (2014, October 16). DC Comics unleashing Flash, Wonder Woman, ton of other films. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/au/news/dc-comics-unleashing-flash-wonder-woman-ton-of-other-films/
- Lancaster, L. (2015, February 9). Spider-Man swings back to Marvel Studios with Sony pact. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/spider-man-swings-back-to-marvel-studios-in-partnership-with-sony-pictures/
- Lancaster, L. (2015, February 9). When worlds collide: Comic book crossovers, movies and you. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/crisis-of-continuity-whats-the-deal-with-comic-crossover-events/
- Marshall, R. (2015, February 10). Spider-Man deal shifts release dates for Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, other Marvel movies. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/spider-man-deal-delays-release-date-for-other-marvel-movies/
- Mitroff , S. (2015, February 10). Scribd serves up all the comics you can read, for $9 per month. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/scribd-adds-comics-9-per-month/
- Plaugic. L. (2015, February 10). Scribd expands its ebook library to include comic books., Retrieved from http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/10/8004161/scribd-comic-books-marvel-ebook-subscription
- Strom, M. (2015, February 9). Marvel Studios Schedules New Release Dates for 4 Films. Retrieved from http://marvel.com/news/movies/24065/marvel_studios_schedules_new_release_dates_for_4_films