Want a GoPro Camera but can’t afford the US$129.99 GoPro Hero, which is an entry-level Action Camera?
Then be a hero to your kids and for that same price get four (4) Xiaomi Yi action cameras for US$64 each (Russell, 2015) from the Xiaomi Mi Store, the online website which was launched (Statt, 2015) for US customers in February 2015!
So who’s Xiaomi? And why have we not heard about them before?
US$65 Xiaomi Yi – Competition for GoPro as Xiaomi celebrates their 5th Anniversary of making smartphones
Xiaomi is a Chinese company more known for their budget high quality smartphones such as the US$130 5.5” Xiaomi Redmi Note Phablet (Deer, 2014, March 27) in March 2014.
More recently in 2015, they’ve not only launched the US version of their Mi Store, but they’ve also released a bevy of new smartphones as well as other products. This includes the 5.7″ Mi Note and the Mi Note Pro Phablet (Boxall, 2015, January 14) in January 2015 along with a 40” Mi TV that runs on Google Android.
Xiaomi is making a push into the lucrative and as-yet fully tapped market of India (Deer, 2015, January 19) after totally dominating Apple in China. And come Tuesday Marcy 31st 2015, Xiaomi plans to launch an updated version of the Xiaomi Redmi, codenamed Ferrari (Boxall, 2015, March 25) as part of the 5th Year Celebration. Their CEO, Lei Jun, has set an ambitious target of 100 million smartphones (GSM Arena, 2015) to be sold for the rest of 2015.
Xiaomi coming to Jamaica – MNP and LNP means Dual-SIM and unlocked SIM Card coming
As a Jamaican, you’d not have heard of them, as they mostly sell Dual-SIM smartphones. Digicel and LIME, our Local Telecom Providers, have no interest in selling dual SIM smartphones.
Then again, this isn’t entirely true; Digicel does indeed sell a Triple-SIM smartphone, the Acer Liquid E700 smartphone that was launched on Tuesday December 2nd 2014.
Not only that, Digicel has also launched another smartphone, the DL900 (Deer, 2014, December 7), which is really the Alcatel Pop C7, which coincidentally, happens to be a Dual-SIM smartphone!
Clearly, Digicel has plans to use the fact that these Smartphone are Dual-SIM as a strategy in a post MNP (Mobile Number Portability)/ LNP (Landline Number Portability) Jamaica (Deer, 2015, January 8) come Sunday May 31st 2015. Especially as we’ve selected Netherlands based Porting Access B.V. (Deer, 2015, March 13) as our NPAS (Number Portability Administrator Service) Provider.
So you might now know about Xiaomi now, but after MNP and LNP has been implemented, they may be coming to (Deer, 2015, January 19) Jamaica next by the end of 2015, if they are to reach their target of 100 million smartphones.
So I guess they thought it just right to also include other products for their U.S. Mi Store, with the US$65 Xiaomi Yi being the most talked about addition to their product line.
Ok, so now it’s clear who Xiaomi are and the possibility exists that they may be coming to Jamaica, how does the US$65 Xiaomi Yi stack up in terms of specs against the US$129.99 GoPro Hero? Very good actually!
US$65 Xiaomi Yi – Double the Features of the GoPro Hero for a Quarter of the Price
First off the bat is a quick comparison of the US$64 Xiaomi Yi to the US$129.99 GoPro Hero, the lowers priced GoPro Camera based on GoPro’s website. Trus’ me, it doesn’t’ look good for the GoPro, if this review below is anything to go by.
US$64 Xiaomi Yi is super lightweight (Mogg, 2015), weighing in at 72g, far lighter than the bulkier 111g, making it great for strapping on to your cat to take action videos from his point of view while playing (Deer, 2015, December 14) with his Mousr. Should you can run into the Rain, that won’t be a problem; the Xiaomi Yi is also waterproof to depths as far as 40m, same as the GoPro Hero.
Just don’t go deep sea diving with it, as it may not last long under pressure. Both of these can transfer their video and image to the cloud using built in Wi-Fi or the convenient MicroUSB port at the back of the Xiaomi Y1.
Both the GoPro Hero and the Xiaomi Yi can be remotely controlled using a companion app, albeit the Xiaomi Yi presents this challenge of the App being in Chinese.
Interestingly too, the Xiaomi Yi packs a 64GB Internal Memory, twice that of the GoPro Hero. It also supports 128GB microSD Cards, something the GoPro Hero doesn’t do. At this point, however, the difference between the US$64 Xiaomi Yi to the US$129.99 GoPro Hero become glaring obvious.
The Xiaomi Yi uses a 16 megapixel Sony image sensor and record video at full HD, basically 1080p video at 60fps. On the other hand, the GoPro Hero shoots 5 megapixel images and record videos at 1080p video at 30fps or 720p video at 60fps. Check out this video below and judge for yourself
The only fault I can find, aside from the fact that its instruction are in Chinese, since it’s not yet launched in the US of A, is that is has very poor quality sound. Also you’ll end up spending more money on extra accessories, such as a waterproof case, with a tripod hole as well as an extra battery, as the battery life is not adequate.
Still, for the price of a single US$129.99 on buying a GoPro Hero, you can get four (4) US$64 Xiaomi Yi action cameras and still possibly have money left over for other things.
So my fellow Jamaicans, do the sensible thing. Reach for your Scotia VISA Debit Card (Deer, 2012, February 13) or CIBC VISA Debit Card (Deer, 2013, December 23) and buy (4) US$64 Xiaomi Yi action cameras through your Courier service (Deer, 2014, August 24) and have it shipped down (Deer, 2013, September 15) and put them down for Christmas 2015.
You never know; Xiaomi Smartphone may come to Jamaica and you can buy them to match with this ultra cheap yet high quality Xiaomi Yi action cameras!
Here’s the link:
- Boxall, A. (2015, January 14). XIAOMI LAUNCHES THE SLIM, CURVED, AND POWERFUL MI NOTE AND MI NOTE PRO. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/xiaomi-mi-note-pro-news/
- Boxall, A. (2015, March 25). Xiaomi turns five, may announce first smartwatch and new smartphone to celebrate. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/xiaomi-march-31-event-news/
- Deer, L. (2012, February 13). How to use Scotia VISA Debit Card Online. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/how-to-use-scotia-visa-debit-card-online/
- Deer, L. (2013, December 23). Payoneer, the US based Prepaid MasterCard Debit Card – How E-Commerce MSME’s, Online workers and Reggae or Dancehall Artiste can receive money via Paypal and spend it in Jamaica. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2013/12/payoneer-us-based-prepaid-mastercard.html
- Deer, L. (2013, September 15). How to ship things to Jamaica after you’re purchase them online. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/shop-online-ship-to-jamaica/
- Deer, L. (2014, August 24). How to purchase items and subscribe to Magazines online and ship them to Jamaica. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-to-purchase-items-and-subscribe-to.html
- Deer, L. (2014, December 12). Digicel launches DL800 aka ZTE Kis 3 Max Second after Digicel DL900 on Christmas 2014 http://www.geezam.com/digicel-launches-dl800-aka-zte-kis-3-max-second-after-digicel-dl900-on-christmas-2014/
- Deer, L. (2014, December 7). Digicel launches DL900 aka Alcatel Pop C7 as Digicel DL750 on Sale for Christmas 2014. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/digicel-launches-dl900-aka-alcatel-pop-c7-as-digicel-dl750-on-sale-for-christmas-2014/
- Deer, L. (2015, December 14). How to sharpen your Cat’s Hunting Skills with the AI Robotic Mousr. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2014/12/14/how-to-sharpen-your-cats-hunting-skills-with-the-ai-robotic-mousr/
- Deer, L. (2015, January 18). Digicel going Triple-SIM with Acer Liquid E700 smartphone. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/digicel-going-triple-sim-with-acer-liquid-e700-smartphone/
- Deer, L. (2015, January 19). Xiaomi in India after success in China – Xiaomi Looks to the West as the World is theirs for the Taking. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/01/xiaomi-in-india-after-success-in-china.html
- Deer, L. (2015, January 8). Minister Paulwell affirms MNP, LNP Coming May 31st 2015 – Why NPA TPPR, IXP Deadline and VoIP Registration herald MNP, LNP for NANP Number Ranges and Competition. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/01/minister-paulwell-affirms-mnp-lnp.html
- Deer, L. (2015, March 13). Jamaica has selected Porting Access B.V. for NPA – How NPAS will provision a TPRR based CRDB from the Land of Windmills and Carrier-Free SIM Cards. Retrieved from
- Deer, L. (2015, March 27). US$130 5.5” Xiaomi Redmi Note Phablet goes on sale in China on Tuesday March 26th 2014 – Low-cost Unlocked Phablets the next Tablet in China’s Year of the Horse. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/03/us130-55-xiaomi-redmi-note-phablet-goes.html
- Goldman, J. (2015, March 26). Xiaomi Yi review: A higher-end action cam with an entry-level price. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/xiaomi-yi/
- GSM Arena, (2015, March 25). Xiaomi wants to sell 100 million smartphones this year. Retrieved from http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_wants_to_sell_100_million_smartphones_this_year-news-11674.php
- Liu, H. (2015, March 2). Xiaomi launches GoPro rival with a jaw-dropping price tag. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/xiaomi-launches-yi-action-camera-gopro/
- Mogg, T. (2015, March 3). Xiaomi launches GoPro-like action camera with super-low price tag. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/xiaomi-launches-gopro-like-action-camera-with-super-low-price-tag/
- Russell, J. (2015, March 1). Xiaomi Introduces A GoPro-Style Action Camera That Costs Just $64. Retrieved from http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/01/xiaomi-yi-action-camera/
- Statt, N. (2015, February 12). Xiaomi to launch Mi store in US — but no phones for now. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/xiaomi-to-launch-mi-store-in-us-but-no-phones-for-now/