Are you in the market for a pair of high-quality Bluetooth headphone with Noise Cancelling?
Then if you have US$500 to splash, then the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Carnoy, 2015) on-ear headphones has your ears covered.
So why should you splash US$500 on a pair of headphones when other headphones (Deer, 2015 April 1) at a lower price point offer the same bells and whistles for a lower price?
Because it’s real value bang for buck!
Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 on-ear headphones – Stylish design with Cheap Carry Pouch
Stylishly designed with an aluminium frame and sheepskin earmuffs, the entire package weighs a mere 255 g (9 oz) on your ears. The earcups are made from anodized aluminium and covered with sheepskin earmuffs filled with memory foam, so it’s comfortable, conforming to the contour and shape of your ears with little or no pressure being exerted.
The right earcup has a touch interface similar to the US$300 Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless (Deer, 2015 May 24) headphones with similar gesture controls that might be a tad too sensitive.
The Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 on-ear headphones comes with an included pouch, not a case like the much cheaper US$300 Bose Quiet Comfort 25 (Deer, 2014, October 12), which comes with a nice rubberized case with a soft inner lining.
However, unlike the Bose Quiet Comfort 25, the active Noise Cancelling is a feature can be activated or deactivated in both in wired mode and wireless mode.
Removable Rechargeable Batteries – Hours of Wireless Bluetooth Fun with AptX
The headphones use a pair of rechargeable batteries which you can remove and replace with your own, which is also a good gesture. On a full charge, the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 gives you fourteen (14) hours of music playback using Bluetooth 4.0 in wireless mode with the Noise Cancelling feature enabled and sixteen (16) hours with the Noise Cancelling feature disabled.
This Bluetooth enable feature uses up a lot of power as in wired mode with Noise Cancelling, you get thirty five (35) hours of music playback, but at least you can enjoy your music in peace on an airplane, should you be told to remove them during flight.
If you have a smartphone, such as the Samsung Galaxy S6 (Deer, 2015 March 8), you might notice a slight improvement in the Bluetooth streaming thanks to the AptX built into those models (sorry Apple iPhone 6 fans!).
Little Nuances with Bang & Olufsen – Keep it to the right and Sit in one place
Music playback quality is fairly good, reproducing bass very well and with clear midrange frequencies. As can be expected with Wireless Bluetooth headphones, when tested in wired mode, they usually sound a lot better than when in Wireless mode.
In fact, when playing music wirelessly from a smartphone, its best to keep the smartphone on the right side of your body, as the Bluetooth receiver seems to also be in the right earcup of the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 on-ear headphones.
Also, you’ll have to tolerate a bit of a banging Noise in the sound every time the heel of your shoe touch the pavement, due to your body’s walking motion generating RF Frequencies caused by the difference in capacitance between your body and the earth.
These little nuances seem a bit much for a pair of US$500 headphones, albeit they’re common to all Bluetooth Wireless models I’ve reviewed. But the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 on-ear headphones certainly do deliver in the sound quality department; just keep it on the right side and try not to walk while listening to music!
- Carnoy, D. (2015, May 21). Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 review: A swanky Bluetooth headphone with a price to match. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/bangolufsenbeoplayh8/
- Deer, L. (2014, October 12). US$299.99 Bose Quiet Comfort 25 Headphones – Why the QC25 improves on the QC15 despite no Inductive Rechargeable Battery. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/10/us29999-bose-quiet-comfort-25.html
- Deer, L. (2015 April 1). Five Great Over-the-Ear Headphones – Noise Cancelling, Comfortable, Fashionable Bluetooth Music Streaming. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/04/Bose-Blue-MoFi-Oppo-Sennheiser-Audeze-Over-the-ear-headphones.html
- Deer, L. (2015 March 8). @Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge coming to Jamaica in April 2015 is 64-Bit Octa-Core Best of MWC 2015. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-64-bit-octa-core-mwc-2015/
- Deer, L. (2015 May 24). US$300 Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless headphones unique Touch Interface in Wireless Mode. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/05/31/sennheiser-urbanite-xl-wireless-headphones-touch-interface/