There are small HDMI Stick computers like the US$150 Intel Compute (Deer, 2015 April 6), whose one problem is a lack of a screen and a keyboard.
Then there are small computers like the US$295 CompuLab’s MintBox Mini (Deer, 2015, January 22) which is great, except that it runs on Linux Mint OS, a flavour you may not know or like.
The Acer Revo One, however, is a true Windows 8.1 Mini PC (Ackerman, 2015) that’s portable, has its own keyboard and mouse, leaving you to choose a screen.
Costing only US$249, it’s a lot smaller than Apple’s Mac Mini and even the HP Pavilion Mini (Deer, 2015, January 21) or its sister the HP Stream Mini. For that price it you get a model that’s powered by 2.2GHz Intel Core i5 5200U supported by 8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz and 1TB SSHD (Solid State Hard Drive).
With Intel HD Graphics 5500 card and support for 802.11ac Wi-Fi thrown in, this is basically a multimedia streaming box.
You can basically do away with the US$49 Roku Streaming Stick (Deer, 2014, March 5) the US$35 Google Chromecast (Deer, 2014, July 26) or the US$39 Amazon Fire TV Streaming Stick (Deer, 2014, December 24), once you have a subscription to Netflix or other streaming services, with CBSN (Deer, 2014, November 11) for News.
All you really need is a good 4K Screen and a 802.11ac Wi-Fi Router with really fast Broadband Internet. You might also want to upgrade on the Bluetooth 4.0 mouse and the keyboard, as you do not have to use the ones that come with the computer.
US$249 Acer Revo One – Portable Streaming Home Entertainment Center
Despite its minimalistic appearance, the gentle curves and glossy finish of the 15.49 cm (6.1 inches) tall by 10.67 cm (4.2 inches) square box that houses this incredible marvel, it would appear to be a long lost cousin of Apple that eloped with Acer.
You’ll probably forget you have a desktop when you hook this up to your HDTV, making you feel like you’ve let a Genii out of a box to power your television set, as with these specs, it can also double as a Streaming Gaming Rig.
The US$249 Acer Revo One compares well to alternatives, such as the US$500 Mac Mini with a Core i5 CPU and a 500GB hard drive or even the US$449 HP Mini with an Intel Core i3 CPU and a 1TB hard-drive.
So aside from the keyboard with its quirk of having to press and hold the Fn keys as if on a laptop and the mouse which lacks multimedia functionality, if you had this on your HDTV along with Digicel SportsMax and TVJ Sports Network (Deer, 2015, June 3), would you not be in your own personal Sports Coliseum?
- Ackerman, D. (2015, May 14). Acer Revo One review: A living room desktop you won’t have to hide. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/acerrevoone/
- Deer, L. (2015 April 6). US$150 Intel Compute Stick launches on NewEgg and Amazon. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/04/06/intel-compute-stick-hdmi-newegg-amazon/
- Deer, L. (2015, January 21). US$319 Pavilion Mini and the US$179 Stream Mini – Microsoft Windows 8.1 Desktop with OneDrive Cloud that’s a Chromebox killer. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/01/us319-pavilion-mini-and-us179-stream.html
- Deer, L. (2015, January 22). US$295 CompuLab’s MintBox Mini – Great start to a MintBox Mini Dynasty of Linux PC’s. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/us295-compulabs-mintbox-mini-great-start-to-a-mintbox-mini-dynasty-of-linux-pcs/
- Deer, L. (2015, June 3). Digicel Sportsmax 5-year NBA deal means FTTH and 4G LTE coming December 2015. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/digicel-sportsmax-nba-deal-means-fiber-and-4g-lte-coming-this-year/
- Deer, L. (2014, December 24). US$39 Amazon Fire TV Stick – 200,000 Streaming Shows and Portable Gaming is a Direct challenge to Roku and Google Chromecast Streaming Sticks. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/01/us39-amazon-fire-tv-stick-200000.html
- Deer, L. (2014, July 26). Google Play Music’s All Access Music Subscription Three months Free Streaming – Happy Birthday as Google Chromecast fights Amazon fire TV. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/07/google-play-musics-all-access-music.html
- Deer, L. (2014, March 5). US$49 Roku Streaming Stick with HDMI Compatability launched before Ash Wednesday – Roku facing a Transformers Age of Extinction as Console Games becomes Content of Choice for Streaming. Retrieved http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/03/us49-roku-streaming-stick-with-hdmi.html
- Deer, L. (2014, November 11). CBSN Streaming News Portal Internationals – First Digital Streaming News Channel sponsored by Advertisers on your Browser. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/11/cbsn-streaming-news-portal.html