“iPod touch gives customers around the world access to Apple Music, the App Store and iOS, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system, starting at just $199. With big advancements like the A8 chip and the 8 megapixel iSight camera, customers can experience next-level gameplay, take even more beautiful photos and enjoy their favorite music, TV shows and movies”
Apple’s Vice President of iPhone, iPod and iOS Product Marketing, Greg Joswiak in a Press Release for the revamped Apple iPod line of music players
Apple, by popular demand, “kin’ puppalick”-ed the Apple iPod line after three (3) years in the wilderness. Or at least, the Apple iPod Touch as per their Press Release on Wednesday July 15th 2015 titled “Apple Introduces The Best iPod touch Yet”.
Apple on Wednesday July 15 2015 has quietly updated (Tibken, 2015) their Apple iPod Touch, Nano and Shuffle line with iOS 8, new hardware and a dizzying array of new colours never before see on an Apple product.
Sorry, the Apple iPod Classic isn’t coming back (Deer, 2014, September 22) it “tek weh itself” from the Apple iTunes Store in September 2014. The love from the HD Music loving Hipsters didn’t bring it back (Deer, 2014, December 12) but at least it brought back the relatives!
So what’s new under the hood?
Apple iPod Line Revival – Mimicking iPhone 6 suggests Apple Music Platform
For one, the 4” device is a lot thinner at 6.1mm (0.24″) and a lot lighter at 88 grams (3.1 oz) (O’Kane, 2015), making the Apple iPhone 6 at 6.9mm (0.27”) thick and a supermodel waif-thin 129 grams (4.55 oz) look seriously overweight.
The iPod Touch now runs iOS 8.0, the same as the Apple iPhone 6 and 6 Plus (Deer, 2014 October 6), suggesting that it’s possible that it might also get iOS 9 treatment by September 2015.
The hardware specs are also reminiscent of the Apple iPhone 6; 8 megapixels Rear-Facing Camera and 1.2 megapixel front-facing Camera are both iSight Cameras. Yes, they too also record 720 HD video, enableing the Apple iPod Touch to do all the same things that the Apple iPhone 6 can do.
This is thanks to the 64bit A8 processor, also borrowed from the Apple iPhone 6 along with the M8 Coprocessor to enable activity tracking.
But what’s most obvious is the visible makeover of the Apple iPod Touch along with her sisters, the Apple iPod Nano and the Shuffle; vibrant colours to spoil you for choice along with the original Silver, Black and Red:
- Dark blue
- Hot pink
The US$149Apple iPod Nano and the US$49Shuffle didn’t get a hardware makeover, as they still stuck at iOS 6, making them a tad overpriced in my opinion. The prices for the Apple iPod Touch line are fairly reasonable, for an Apple product:
- US$199 for the 16GB Apple iPod Touch
- US$249 for the 32GB Apple iPod Touch
- US$299 for the 64GB Apple iPod Touch
- US$399 for the 128GB Apple iPod Touch
But specs aside, it’s the Apple Music bits that caught my attention.
Apple Music on the Apple iPod Touch – Beats 1 Music Match made in heaven
Customers can access Apple Music, the company’s new streaming music service via the Apple iTunes Store as this device support Wi-Fi. They can also listen to the Beats1 Music Station, Apple’s first 24/7 Live Music Radio Station on their headphones (Deer, April 1 2015) that plays music requests from Apple users from across the globe.
You can also talk directly to artiste via Connect, albeit you could have just as easily just DM (Direct Message) them on Twitter (Deer, 2015, April 10), as it’s really their PR person doing all the messaging, not the actual artiste. The integration of Apple Music service, though makes it plainly clear; Apple’s been waiting to revive Streaming on an Apple iPod.
Apple’s clearly using this refresh to push Apple Music, their streaming service that was launched during Apple WWDC (World Wide Developers Conference) and (Deer, 2015, June 20) went live on Tuesday June 30th 2015. Apple is clearly eager to push the good news of Apple Music Streaming (Palermino, 2015) to their fans.
The revived Apple iPod is clearly the perfect platform for this, being as its already the Apple iPhone sans cellular Voice Calling, making this an affordable (Ralph, 2015) must-have portable HD Music player.
So will the Apple iPod Touch revival also help to make Apple Music Streaming service a winner against the might of Spotify? With Taylor Swift (Deer, 2015, July 14) and her squad of hipsters on their side teaming up with original Beats Music fans, this is a Beats 1 Music Match made in heaven.
Here’s the link
- Deer, L. (2014, September 22). Apple iPod Classic is Dead as Apple iPhone 6 Rises – Why a US$250 Apple iPod HD Music Player with Streaming Option is Possible. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/09/apple-ipod-classic-is-dead-as-apple.html
- Deer, L. (2014 October 6). Apple iPhone 6 and Plus with 128GB Storage and Apple Pay is Biggest iPhone Launch. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/apple-iphone-6-and-plus-with-128gb-storage-and-apple-pay-is-biggest-iphone-launch/
- Deer, L. (2014, December 12). US$490 Apple iPod Classic Revival – Hipsters go Retro for HD Audio Capable Music Player. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/12/us490-apple-ipod-classic-revival.html
- Deer, L. (2015, April 1). Five Great Over-the-Ear Headphones – Noise Cancelling, Comfortable, Fashionable Bluetooth Music Streaming. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/04/Bose-Blue-MoFi-Oppo-Sennheiser-Audeze-Over-the-ear-headphones.html
- Deer, L. (2015, April 10). How to Send a DM to someone on @Twitter you are not following – Troll’s Joy is hanging by a Thread. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/04/Twitter-DM-Direct-Message-Troll-Threads.html
- Deer, L. (2015, June 20). Apple WWDC 2015 debuts OS X 10.11, Watch OS 2.0 and Apple Music. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/apple-wwdc-2015-debuts-os-x-10-11-watch-os-2-0-and-apple-music/
- C.L. (2015, June 30). Beats 1 targets hip, openminded Music fans. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/beats-1-targets-hip-openminded-music-fans/
- Deer, L. (2015, July 14). @TaylorSwift13 and Vinyl – Why Female Hipsters diggin’ her New Groove as Vinyl Sales Rise. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/07/Taylor-Swift-Female-Hipsters-Vinyl.html
- Tibken, S. (2015, July 15). Apple upgrades iPod Touch with iPhone 6level camera, chip. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/appleupdatesipodtouchfor2015/
- O’Kane, S. (2015, July 16). Handson: the new iPod touch is faster and shoots better photos. Retrieved from http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/16/8980449/newappleipodtouchhandsonphotos
- Ralph, N. (2015, July 16). Apple iPod Touch 2015 Preview. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/appleipodtouch2015/