The Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini is the latest smartphone from the TCL Corporation for those shopping for a slightly higher-end smartphone.
Straight out of the box for US$200 to US$250, you get a spankin’ new charger/adapter, headset and guide; it’s the slower of the two Idol siblings, the other being the LTE-enable Idol Mini 2.
Both are children of the slightly bigger Idol 2 smartphone with Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini being a GSM (Global System Mobile) smartphone blessed with a dual-SIM capability, currently the trend (Deer, 2013, November 13) in the Caribbean!
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini – Single Handed surfing with Five Fingaz to da face
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini has dimensions of 129 x 63.5 x 7.9 mm (5.08 x 2.5 x 0.31 in), it’s surprisingly light, weighing in at 110 g (3.88 oz).
It’s conveniently hand sized and fits comfortably in one hand, making two-handed surfin’ possible while, say, on your regular commute to work. Aesthetic wise, the 4.5” screen Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini sports the same nice metallic finish but in a fusion of brighter colour options:
- Full White
- Hot Pink
4.5” screen smartphone sports a capacitive qHD IPS touchscreen with a resolution of 540 x 960 pixels capable of displaying images with a 245 ppi pixel density. The screen is made from high strength unscratchble Dragontrail glass, albeit you do have the option to get a clear Gel-skin protector to keep your precious scratch free.
The screen is capable of handling up to five (5) fingers in multi-touch mode, and can withstand finger and oily face smudges thanks to its Oleophobic coating. But this phone isn’t just a slim girl with a pretty face.
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini specs – A Perfect Handful for your daily commute
Under the hood, she’s runnin’ Google Android 4.3 Jelly Bean as her main OS (GSMArena, 2014, February) with a Quad Core 1.2 GHz CPU.
TCL Corporation, makers of the Idol line of OneTouch smartphone have promised an upgrade to Google Android 4.4 KitKat, albeit you can upgrade it yourself with your favourtie ROM or an (Deer, 2014, July 31) Android Launcher.
The Internal memory and RAM configuration depends of if the smartphone is a single SIM or Dual SIM:
- 4 GB Internal memory, 1 GB RAM (Single SIM)
- 8 GB Internal memory, 1 GB RAM (Dual SIM)
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini has an 8 Megapixel Rear-facing Camera that takes 3264 x 2448 pixels images and does 1080p video. It comes with HDR (High Dynamic Range), autofocus and a LED flash, fairly standard features that guarantee that all your photos are of the highest quality.
It also has a panorama function for taking wide angle photos and supports touch focus and face detection to place those you love in the center of your photographs. Geo-tagging allows you to know when and where you took your photos.
The 2 Megapixel front-facing Camera can only manage 720p quality video at 30fps is great for taking selfies nonetheless.
MP3 and WAV Music files will easily fill this up, which is why the microSIM Card shows supports for a 32 GB of External Memory to store all your tunes. The Quad Core 1.2 GHz CPU allows the smartphone to support a wide range of functions that are now considered de rigeur for a smartphone; GPS, proximity sensor, accelerometer and magnetometer.
Browsing the Internet is a cinch using the Internet using its fully-HTML Browser on the HSPA Cellular Internet or Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n. You can choose to share your Internet with up to five (5) persons and even pair it with DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) or Wi-Fi Direct compatible device to stream music and video.
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini Music and Video Player – Endless Distraction on your Commute
The Google Android 4.3 Jelly Bean’s music player supports MP3, AAC+, WAV, WMA file playback and will sound great with a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones like the Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless (Deer, 2015, May 24) via Bluetooth 4.0. It also supports great video playback as the default Video player is DivX, MP4 and H.264 compatible.
The smartphone is capable of viewing and editing photos on the fly to give documents a quick once over, albeit you’ll have to download the (Deer, 2014, November 8) Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint apps to view Microsoft Office Documents.
For the reporter on the go, the Active noise cancellation dedicated microphone makes the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini a go-to device, especially as you can combine it with the portable (Deer, 2015, July 20) Microsoft Universal Foldable keyboard.
There also something for the cricket and football fans; Stereo FM radio, which you can listen to using a decent pair of headphones, such as the US$39 Shure SRH144 (Deer, 2015, January 1) or SRH145 Headphones.
Listening to all that music can rapidly drain your battery, but the Li-Ion 1700 mAh battery that recharges via a microUSB v2.0. The battery will give you up to 450 h of standby on the 2G GSM Network and up to 400 h while using 3G Internet.
Talking lowers your talk-time to 12 h on the 2G GSM Network which drops further to 5 h (3G) while using 3G Internet. More than enough juice to make it all day without a Portable (Deer, 2014, July 6) Battery charger!
Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini – Budget phone arrayed in Royal robes
So should you buy the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini?
At US$200 to US$250 for the dual-SIM version, this budget smartphone, delivers a great experience, especially after you upgrade it with apps from the Google Android Play store.
With its handy size and metallic finish, the Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini is a Budget phone arrayed in Royal robes of many colours!
Here’s the link:
- Deer, L. (2013, November 13). Trend towards Dual-SIM Smartphones developing in Jamaica as MNP Approaches. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/trend-towards-dual-sim-smartphones-developing-in-jamaica-as-mnp-approaches/
- GSMArena (2014, February). Alcatel Idol 2 Mini. Retrieved from http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_idol_2_mini-6131.php
- Lowe, A. (2014, February 22). The Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini is smaller and prettier (hands-on). Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/alcatel-one-touch-idol-2-mini/
- Deer, L. (2014, July 6). How to extend your smartphone’s battery Life with a Portable Battery Charger. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/how-to-extend-your-smartphones-battery-life-with-a-portable-battery-charger/
- Deer, L. (2014, July 31). How to change your smartphone Home Screen and create a Personal Assistant using Android Launchers – 31-07-2014 Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/how-to-change-your-smartphone-home-screen-and-create-a-personal-assistant-using-android-launchers/
- Deer, L. (2014, November 8). Microsoft Office 365 goes Freemium Model – One Becomes Three as Word, Excel and PowerPoint with US$6.99 monthly to remove Restrictions. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/11/microsoft-office-365-goes-freemium.html
- Deer, L. (2015, January 1). US$39 Shure SRH144 and SRH145 Headphones is a Sure bet for Excellent Sound on a budget. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/01/10/us39-shure-srh144-and-srh145-headphones-is-a-sure-bet-for-excellent-sound-on-a-budget/
- Deer, L. (2015, May 24). US$300 Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless headphones unique Touch Interface in Wireless Mode. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/05/31/sennheiser-urbanite-xl-wireless-headphones-touch-interface/
- Deer, L. (2015, July 20). Microsoft’s US$100 Universal Foldable keyboard is Bluetooth Typing Bliss. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/07/21/microsofts-us100-universal-foldable-keyboard-is-bluetooth-typing-bliss/