I had no idea that the TCL Corporation made Tablets.
So I was quite surprised when I recently got the chance to review the Alcatel OneTouch POP 7 (Franklin, 2014), which had actually come out way back at CES (Computer Electronics Show) 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The 7” Tablet was one of two (2) Tablets at CES, the other being the 8” Alcatel OneTouch POP 8, both running Google Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. The spotlight, however, is on the Alcatel OneTouch POP 7, which matches the Alcatel OneTouch POP 8 in every area except aesthetics and pricing.
Back then the Tablet’s novelty was that it was a low-cost Tablet that had built-in 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution). But by June 2014, the novelty had worn off as it was already being put on sale for Father’s Day (Webster, 2014, June 4) by T-Mobile with a US$100 rebate.
By February 2015, it became a free gift for Valentine’s Day (Webster, 2015, February 10) on T-Mobile’s Network, once you had paid for a 1GB Data Plan for US$20 per month on T-Mobile.
Still, this didn’t stop MetroPCS from selling them for USA$150 (Boxall, 2014, October 24), in October 2014, becoming Christmas gifts for some children in the US of A that year.
So now it’s in the Caribbean, what makes this Tablet so special, the second time around!
Alcatel OneTouch POP 7 – Too heavy in the hand for one-handed commute
Priced at US$144 (JA$16,795) to US$154 (JA$18,000), based on which Telecom Provider you decide to go with, the Alcatel OneTouch POP 7 is an interesting 7” Tablet to behold. Straight out the box, it comes with a USB Cable, User Manual and Wall Charger that works with a microUSB 2.0 port.
It’s somewhat thick (GSMArena, 2014, January) with dimensions of 192 x 113 x 8.9 mm (7.56 x 4.45 x 0.35 in) and is a somewhat hefty 285 g (10.05 oz). This might seem light, but it’s not suitable for long, single handed toting in one hand, as its weight alone means it fly right out of your hand if your skipping along to your music.
In fact, it’s far heavier than the 4.5” Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini (Deer, 2015, July 29) which weighs in at 110 g (3.88 oz) and costs US$200.
Still, it does come with an optional magnetic cover (Luis D, 2014) attached to a backplate in various colours, should you get bored with the plain White colour:
Changing the backpanel and magnetic covers is quite easy and efficient. It’ll be a bit heavier and the microSD and SIM-card slots become inaccessible, but that means they’ll not become filled with grit and keep your microSD card safe from external elements.
Alcatel OneTouch POP 7 – Low Resolution Screen with a Poor Camera
The screen of the 7″ Tablet is barely HD with a resolution of 1,024×600 and 170 ppi pixel density. Albeit a TFT (Thin Film Transistor) screen, is does not support IPS (In-plane switching) screen like its bigger sister, the 8″ Alcatel OneTouch POP 8.
So don’t expect super bright colours for the 16M colors it can display, or even the ability to view the screen from any angle, which might be a good thing, depending on who you are. The Tablet’s 1.3GHz Dual-Core Cortex-A7 housed on a Mediatek MT8312 Chipset.
Graphics support is provided by a Mali-400 GPU and the 1 GB RAM suffices to render basic games like Candy Crush Saga (Deer, 2014, January 18), Rovio’s Juice Cubes (Deer, 2014, January 26) or even Threes (Deer, 2014, February 15) fairly well.
However, with 4G of Internal Memory expandable by 32GB with an External MicroSD Memory Card, it can store a fair amount of Video Games.
The Rear-facing Camera is a paltry 2 Megapixel system capable of capturing images with a resolution of 1600 x 1200 pixels, higher than the screen can manage and shoots 720p video. It at least has VGA Front-facing camera, which can at least make for some decent Skype (Deer, 2014, April 29) Video Calling.
Already, it’s becoming painfully clear that this is not a Gaming Tablet. So who is the Tablet goo for, anyway?
Alcatel OneTouch POP 7 – Kid-friendly Tablet with Educational potential
The Alcatel OneTouch POP 7 seems as if a US$60 Alcatel OneTouch Pop C2 (Deer, 2015, July 30) got overfed and grew to a 7” size. That said, the performance on this Google Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Tablet isn’t so great.
With such a low resolution screen that barely makes the HD Class of 2014, the icons are the first victims to suffer due to the lack of IFS. This makes the screen blurry to the naked eye, with fine text in the e-book Reader (Deer, 2015, August 8) suffering a worse fate to the point of being unreadable, forcing you to zoom in for a closer look.
So no, this isn’t a low cost e-reader option.
Videos are equally problematic, appearing pixilated with still photos in the default Photo Viewer suffering from poor image quality. This results in colours not being rendered very well, with whites showing a slight tinge of blue and cyan and magenta not looking anywhere close to what I’m used to seeing on higher-end Tablets.
It does all the same thing that the US$60 Alcatel OneTouch Pop C2 does, from playing MP3, AAC+, WAV and WM files to MP4/H.264 videos. A standard 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth pairing gives you the choice of what types of headphones you wish to use to listen to your music.
You can a pair of US$119 Marshall Major II on-ear headphones (Deer, 2015, April 26) or go wireless with a pair of Bluetooth headphones, such as the US$500 Bang & Olufsen (Deer, 2015, June 21) BeoPlay H8 Headphones.
The Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n option means Music streaming (Deer, 2015, July 1) is possibly when your Digicel Zero Data Plan (Deer, 2015, April 25) runs out. GPS means you can use it with your free professional version of Google Earth (Deer, 2015, February 1) which is a great educational product.
So in concluding, this is more for individuals seeking training wheels to give to their children as an introduction to the Internet and Apps.
The 3240 mAh Li-Ion battery only gives you 300 h on 2G and 70 h on 3G seems to reinforce this conclusion. Still, it’s got WiFi and a 4G LTE Option, making this a great Tablet for your kids, giving them loads of endless fun.
Here’s the link:
- GSMArena. (2014, January). Alcatel POP 7. Retrieved from http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_pop_7-5939.php
- Franklin, E. (2014, January 6). Alcatel Pop 7 and Pop 8 bring LTE to cheap Tablets. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/alcatel-one-touch-pop-8/
- Deer, L. (2014, January 18). How to download Candy Crush Saga and play it on your Desktop or Laptop – BlueStacks App Player to the Rescue of the non Post-PC Era people. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-download-candy-crush-saga-and.html
- Deer, L. (2014, January 26). Rovio Juice Cubes is a Freemium In-App Purchase Gold Bar Mine – To get to Level 200, you have to become Goldfinger but Crypto-Currency will make In-App Purchases tolerable. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/01/rovio-juice-cubes-is-freemium-in-app.html
- Deer, L. (2014, February 15). Threes! is an Engaging Mathematics Puzzle Game for Apple iOS – Sudoku in Multiples of Three by Sirvo LLC Design Trio should be Inspiration to Game Developers in Jamaica. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/02/threes-is-engaging-mathematics-puzzle.html
- Luis D.(2014, April 15). Alcatel OneTouch Pop 7. Retrieved from http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Alcatel-OneTouch-Pop-7-Review_id3654
- Deer, L. (2014, April 29). How to make a Free Group Call in Skype – Google+ officially a Ghost Town Again as Microsoft gears up for WhatsApp free VoIP Calling in June 2014. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-to-make-free-group-call-in-skype.html
- Webster, S. (2014, June 4). T-Mobile shaves $100 off Tablets for dads and grads. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-shaves-100-off-Tablets-for-dads-and-grads/
- Boxall, A. (2014, October 24). It may be basic, but this 7-inch Tablet has 4G and only costs $150. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/metropcs-alcatel-one-touch-pop-7-Tablet-news/
- Deer, L. (2015, February 1). US$399 Google Earth Pro now Free as Profit in Selling Bacon than the Whole Hog. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/us399-google-earth-pro-now-free-as-profit-in-selling-bacon-than-the-whole-hog/
- Webster, S. (2015, February 10). Want a ‘free’ Tablet? T-Mobile gives away Alcatel 7-incher for Valentine’s Day. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-giving-away-7-inch-alcatel-Tablet-in-valentines-day-promo/
- Deer, L. (2015, April 25). Digicel launches Digicel Zero – How @Digicel_jamaica is testing VoLTE vs @WhatsApp’s Free Voice Calling to boost smartphone sales. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/04/Digicel-Zero-Whatsapp-VoIP-Voice-Calling-smartphones.html
- Deer, L. (2015, April 26). US$119 Marshall Major II on-ear headphones provides good sound for your smartphone Music. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/04/26/marshall-major-ii-on-ear-headphones-smartphone-music/
- Deer, L. (2015, June 21). US$500 Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 Headphones deliver Bangin’ Noise Cancelling Playback. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/06/21/us500-bang-olufsen-beoplay-h8-headphones-deliver-bangin-noise-cancelling-playback/
- Deer, L. (2015, July 1). @Digicel_Jamaica and @LIMEJamaica sign Streaming Deals – How HD Audio Streaming, 4G LTE and Caribbean Artiste means Streaming Revenue Bad Blood. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/07/Digicel-Rdio-LIME-Deezer-HD-Audio-Streaming.html.
- Deer, L. (2015, July 29). US$200 Alcatel OneTouch Idol 2 Mini is a Budget phone in Royal Metallic Robes. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/us200-alcatel-onetouch-idol-2-mini/
- Deer, L. (2015, July 30). How the US$60 Alcatel OneTouch Pop C2 manages to Pop – Lower Pricepoint and Great Battery life. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/07/Alcatel-OneTouch-Pop-C2.html
- Deer, L. (2015, August 8). How and Where to Self-Publish and promote your e-Book as an Indie Writer. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/how-to-self-publish-promote-e-books-indie-writer/