Coming straight out of IFA Trade Show in Berlin, Germany which runs from Friday September 4th 2015 to Wednesday September 9th 2015 are a whole bunch of smartwatches from Huawei, LG, Asus and Motorola (Hall, 2015) that’ll make great stocking stuffers this Christmas.
Not only have the smartwatch makers, along with Samsung, who launched the Samsung Galaxy Gear S2 (Deer, 2015, September 5) declared war on the Apple Watch, but they’ve also gotten the support and backing of Google.
On Monday August 31st 2015, Google made it possible for Android Wear smartwatches to work with Apple iPhones (Deer, 2015, September 5) from the Apple iPhone 5 up the Apple iPhone 6 Plus, giving Apple users more choices as well as opening up a new battlefront for the Android Wear smartwatches.
The Apple Watch, the main competitor to Android Wear smartwatches, is now growing strong, Game of Thrones Style, with some estimated 4 million sales (Deer, 2015, August 25) according to analyst Strategy Analytics. In fact, the Swiss Wristwatch crowd is slowly feeling the effects of Apple Watch-mania.
According to analyst NPD Group, U.S. wristwatch makers saw a drop in sales in June 2015 (Deer, 2015, August 9) that’s being attributed to the Apple Watch! We’ll still have to see if this is just sales blip during the summer or an ongoing effect from smartwatch sales in general before we can declare that this is really the case.
So the smartwatch crowd has their work cut out for them and this move by Google may balance things a bit by giving Apple iPhone users more choice.
Hopefully Apple will reciprocate and make the Apple watch available to Android users sometime before Christmas 2015.
LG Watch Urbane Luxe – The LG Watch Urbane got dressed up in Gold straps and Alligator boots
So which Android Wear smartwatch do I recommend?
I’m personally a fan of the LG Watch Urbane Luxe (Dolcourt, 2015) which already looks more like a Wristwatch for the Black Tie and Embassy crowd than a device I’d wear to an Anime Convention or an EDM Club.
The models shown off at IFA Trade Show in Berlin, Germany are based on the original LG Watch Urbane (Deer, 2015, February 23), but with some gilded styling’s and valuable materials typically seen on high-end jewellery.
The LG Watch Urbane Luxe comes with an alligator leather strap with the buckle and casing made of 24-karat Gold with a piano-gloss lacquer case. Made by LG in collaboration with Reeds Jewelers, the design of this iconic timepiece involved some very dedicated and skilled leather and metal craftsmen.
The alligator leather strap with Gold buckle, an elegant deployment clasp, invented by Louis Cartier in 1910, involved some thirty (30) experienced leather workers in fifty (50) separate steps to craft each band to perfection. With the aesthetics being so eye-catching, one would expect that LG would have increased the specs on the innards quite a bit.
That wasn’t the case, as this is really the LG Watch Urbane in more expensive clothing.
The 500 strong LG Watch Urbane Luxe Army – LG Watch Urbane is for Swimmers
The OLED screen is still the same size at 1.3” with a resolution of 320 x 320. The LG Watch Urbane Luxe (Nazarian, 2015) runs on Android Wear with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 Processor supported by 512MB of RAM with 4GB of internal storage for apps, games and music.
This one is IP67 certified and is therefore waterproof and dust proof. So you can take it in the shower or go swimming, just not in the deep end of the pool for longer than 30 minutes. The battery life may also be the same, as the 410mAh battery Li-Ion Battery won’t last longer than the original LG Watch Urbane.
Such a precious thing isn’t meant to last as that’s the case with the LG Watch Urbane Luxe. LG only made about 500 of them priced at US$1,200. This is way cheaper than the Apple Watch Edition at US$10,000 (Deer, 2015, April 5) in the high end.
LG Watch Urbane Luxe from Reeds Jewellers – For that special someone this Christmas
That aside, it’s asking a bit much for a smartwatch that still has the same components inside with splashes of precious metals outside and offers nothing new aside from being able to be paired with an Apple iPhone 6.
Still, I like the style and the fact that it looks like a normal wristwatch instead of trying to be geeky. Best of all, being as it’s so rare due to the limited number being made, it’ll make a great gift for that special someone under the mistletoe this Christmas 2015. So expect prices to be much higher than US$1,200, as rarity adds value.
So if Gold and Leather is to your liking, Lady Gaga Style, then it would be a good idea to pre-order the LG Watch Urbane Luxe at Reeds.com or any Reeds Jewelers location in the US of A.
Here’s the link:
- Deer, L. (2015, April 5). Apple Watch Appointment Fittings coming Friday April 10th 2015 – Why Apple Appointments sets trend for How to sell a Wearable. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/04/Apple-Watch-appointments-fittings-Google-TAG-Heuer-Intel.html
- Deer, L. (2015, August 25). Apple sells 4 million Apple Watches – How Samsung, Asus, Huawei, LG and Motorola Empire Strikes back at IFA Trade Show. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/08/Apple-Watch-Android-Wear-Samsung-Asus-Huawei-LG-Motorola-Empire-Strikes.html
- Deer, L. (2015, August 9). U.S. wristwatch sales in June 2015 dip due to Apple Watch – Why Apple Watch heralds Armageddon for U.S. and Swiss Watchmakers. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/08/US-wristwatch-sales-June-2015-decline-Apple-Watch-NPD-Group.html
- Deer, L. (2015, September 5). Android Wear comes to Apple iOS – How Motorola, LG, Asus and Huawei smartwatches are hot this Christmas 2015. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/09/on-monday-august-31-st-2015-google-made.html
- Deer, L. (2015, September 5). Samsung Galaxy Gear S2 has Tizen OS powered Samsung Pay Winning Potential. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/samsung-galaxy-gear-s2-tizen-os-samsung-pay-winning-potential/
- Deer, L. (2015, February 23). LG G Watch Urbane at MWC 2015 with a View to Kill Apple Watch. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/lg-g-watch-urbane-at-mwc-2015-with-a-view-to-kill-apple-watch-come-april-2015/
- Dolcourt, J. (2015, August 31). LG launches gold and leather Urbane Luxe smartwatch for late October ship date. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-watch-urbane-luxe/
- Hall, S. (August 31 2015). Android Wear on iPhone unofficially works with Moto 360, LG G Watch R, others. Retrieved from http://9to5google.com/2015/08/31/android-wear-on-iphone-unofficially-works-with-moto-360-lg-g-watch-r-more/
- Nazarian, R. (2015, August 31). LG brings luxury to Android Wear with the $1,200 Watch Urbane Luxe. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/lg-watch-urbane-lux-news-availability-pricing/