Asus made a very strong showing this year at the IFA Trade Show in Berlin, Germany, which is being held from Friday September 4th 2015 to Wednesday September 9th 2015.
They previously teased a stylish ZenWatch 2 smartwatch at Computex Trade Show in Taipei, Taiwan in June 2015 that’s splashing down on October 2015 (Graziano, 2015, September 2) in Europe. This product is definately worth its own article and I’ll be doing a more in-depth review at a later date.
The US$129 VivoStick PC10 (Deer, 2015, September 8) is one such device that stood out at the trade show that’s certain to be a stocking-stuffer if it’s launched before Christmas 2015.
They introduced several new products such as a 17” Water cooled Gaming Laptop, dubbed the ROG GX700 (Greenwald, 2015, September 2) along with what they claimed was the world fastest router (Jones, 2015, September 2), the spidery RT-AC5300.
The ROG GX700 uses Intel K-Series mobile Processors, Nvidia GeForce GTX graphics and has a water-cooling system so this badboy doesn’t overheat!
The ROG GX700 connects to the refresh to their 17” G751, christened the G752 that runs Core i7-6700HQ Processors, which are Skylake Quad-core running Windows 10 on 64GB and internal storage based on M.2 SSD (solid state drives).
The Graphics Card will be a GTX 965M that’ll be pushing its output to a 1080p display with an option to upgrade to a 4K Display that supports Nvidia’s G-Sync.
So aside from smartwatches and exotic laptops and Gaming rig, what’s new in the smartphone department?
Asus Zenfone and Zenpad – A State of Zen in 7 Moves
They also launched a new tablet line called the ZenPad with two (2) tablets.
- US$305 ZenPad 8
- US$339 ZenPad 10
Both tablets come equipped with Stylus and keyboards like the (Deer, 2015, June 12) Asus Transformer.10.1” Asus Transformer Book T100HA hybrid laptop that they’ve launched at the Computex Trade Show in Taipei, Taiwan in June 2015.
They also released a flood of seven (7) smartphones under a new line called the ZenFone line, exactly as CEO of Asus, Jerry Shen had told reporters from Digitimes (Van Boom, 2015, August 27) on Monday 24th August 2015, quote: “The 2016 ZenFone family will include one premium ZenFone Deluxe, two models of the mainstream ZenFone Laser, one ZenFone Selfie and ZenFone Max, and one or two ZenFone Go models”.
He’d basically promised that the Fourth Quarter of 2015 up until Christmas 2015 will be flooded (Chen & Shen, 2015, August 24) with 5.5” smartphones. Asus certainly delivered on that promise at the IFA Trade Show in Berlin, Germany with the Zenfone line, with most of these Google Android smartphones being slated (Dolcourt, 2015, September 2) for a 2016 launch.
So here are the Lucky seven (7) smartphones.
Asus Zenfone line – Zoom in on a Selfie Laser that’s set to Max
First thing to note is that all of these smartphone have 5.5” screens with resolution 1080 x 1920 pixels Corning Gorilla Glass Display with the exception of the ZenFone Max that has a 720 x 1280 pixels screen. Also, all of them are running Google Android 5.5 Lollipop, but are possibly upgradable to Google Android 6 Marshmallow when it comes out.
The US$399 Zenfone Zoom comes with the billing of being the world’s thinnest smartphone as well as Asus’s first fully-metal smartphone. Sporting dimension of 158.9 x 78.8 x 12 mm (6.26 x 3.10 x 0.47 in) and weighting in at 185 g (6.53 oz), it features a 13-megapixel with a 3x optical zoom through a 10-element periscope lens design that can zoom in on objects as close as 5cm.
It’s powered by a Quad-core 2.3 GHz on an Intel Atom Z3580 Chipset and has a PowerVR G6430 GPU. This is supported by up to 4 GB RAM and comes in Internal Storage configurations of up 128 GB with a 64GB cardslot.
Not to leave the self-obsessed crowd out of the look, Asus also launched the Zenfone Selfie. This smartphone has dimensions 156.5 x 77.2 x 10.8 mm (6.16 x 3.04 x 0.43 in) and weighing a fairly featherweight 170 g (6.00 oz) with a 1080 x 1920 pixels Corning Gorilla Glass Display.
It’s running either Quad-core Cortex-A53 or Quad-core Cortex-A53 with a Qualcomm MSM8939 Snapdragon 615 chipset and an Adreno 405 GPU. This meaty Processor is supported by 3 GB RAM and 32 GB of Internal Storage with up to 64GB or external microSD Card support.
The Zenfone Selfie features two (2) 13 megapixel cameras as both Front and rear facing cameras. It has a real-time editing option called the beautification mode that basically allows you to touch up the appearance of your selfie so that you can look your best.
The other smartphones in the Zenfone lineup also have some interesting features.
Zenfone 2 Laser, which has already arrived in India on Tuesday September 8th 2015 (Van Boom, 2015, September 9) ahead of schedule due to strong demand for their smartphones, is the next smartphone from the ZenFone line.
It’s running on a Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53 Processor supported by a Qualcomm MSM8916 Snapdragon 410 Chipset with graphics support from an Adreno 306 GPU. It has dimensions of 143.7 x 71.5 x 10.5 mm (5.66 x 2.81 x 0.41 in) and weighs in at 140 g (4.94 oz).
Costing 13,999 rupees (US$210), this particular 5.5-inch smartphone runs on a Quad-Core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53 with a Qualcomm MSM8916 Snapdragon 410 Chipset with graphics support from an Adreno 306 GPU.
It comes in a 3GB of RAM and can reportedly be configured up to 4GB RAM to support configurations of 16, 32 and 64 GB Internal Storage. It features a 1,280×720-pixel HD display complemented by a 13-megapixel rear camera with laser autofocus which Asus claims that the Zenfone 2 Laser has a 0.2-second autofocus and the lack of a shutter lag.
Finally rounding off the lot is the Zenfone Max, a Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53 smartphone with a Qualcomm MSM8916 Snapdragon 410 with graphic support provided by an Adreno 306 GPU. It’s the oddball in the list as it’s got a 720 x 1280 pixels screen.
It’s got 2GB or RAM and up to 16GB of internal storage and an incredibly huge 5000mAh Battery that’s basically a Battery charger (Lai, 2015, August 6) for your other smartphones.
Didn’t see something you liked at IFA Trade Show in Berlin, Germany? Probably you need the specs to decide your mind this Christmas 2016, as Asus has your tech fantasy covered.
Here’s the link:
- Chen, M., Shen, S. (2015, August 24). Asustek to focus on 5.5-inch smartphones in 2016, says CEO. Retrieved from http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150824PD200.html
- Deer, L. (2015, June 12). 10.1” Asus Transformer Book T100HA hybrid laptop – Chromebook killer with 15” Macbook Pro stylings. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/06/Asus-Transformer-Book-T100HA-hybrid-laptop-Computex.html
- Deer, L. (2015, September 8). US$129 VivoStick PC10 from Asus is a Stick PC Trend for the Christmas. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/us129-vivostick-pc10-from-asus/
- Dolcourt, J. (2015, September 2). Asus shows off smartphone smarts at Berlin electronics show. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/asus-shows-off-smartphone-smarts-at-berlin-electronics-show/
- Graziano, D. (2015, September 2). Asus debuts affordable and stylish ZenWatch 2, arrives in Europe in October. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-zenwatch-2/
- Greenwald, W. (2015, September 2). Asus Previews Water-Cooled Gaming Laptop, More at IFA. Retrieved from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2490550,00.asp
- Jones, B. (2015, September 2). Asus brings a watercooled laptop, quirky router, $120 stick PCs to IFA 2015. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/asus-announces-water-cooled-gaming-laptop-at-ifa-2015/
- Lai, R. (2015, August 6). ASUS put an insanely large battery in the ZenFone Max. Retrieved from http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/06/asus-zenfone-max/
- Van Boom, D. (2015, August 24). Asus unveils new ZenFone 2 smartphone with 256GB of storage. Reteived from http://www.cnet.com/news/asus-unveils-new-zenfone-2-smartphone-with-256gb-of-storage/
- Van Boom, D. (2015, August 27). Is too much Zen a bad thing? Asus CEO says up to 7 ZenFones in the works. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/is-too-much-zen-a-bad-thing-asus-ceo-says-up-to-seven-zenfones-will-be-released-in-2016/
- Van Boom, D. (2015, September 9). Asus rewards fans in India with early release for ZenFone 2 Laser./ Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/asus-pull-zenfone-2-laser-release-date-forward-after-strong-demand/