Believe it or not, you can actually edit PDF (portable document format), despite what you’ve been led to believe.
Often, if you’ve been sent a contract to sign or any document that needs your signature. Fret not, there is software, mostly Cloud based applications (Deer, 2015, July 28) that allow you to edit PDF documents without the hassle of conversion to word and then back again.
Most PDF editor, such as Adobe Acrobat DC, are very expensive, costing as much as US$449 for the desktop version. That’s basically the same price as the 128 GB Apple iPhone 6S Plus (Deer, 2015, September 10) on a 2-year contract!
So it shouldn’t come to you as a surprise that there are freeware programs (Serea, 2012) that can edit PDF files. Despite being free, many of these programs are full-featured without any trial period. Unlike the ones featured in my earlier article (Deer, 2015, July 28), they can be downloaded from the cloud straight onto your desktop.
Freeware PDF Editors – Why Microsoft Office and Abobe Acrobat are not necessary
Here’s the list and the download links to the best four (4).
All of them are full-featured Word Processor that can read and edit Microsoft Word (doc, docx), Adobe PDF (pdf), Rich Text (rtf), Plain Text (txt), and HTML (html, htm). In fact, they’re so good, I’ll guarantee you’ll be able to replace your need (Deer, 2014, February 7) to even have Microsoft Office.
I’m currently using AbleWord as part of publishing a book (Deer, 2015, August 8) for Christmas 2015. So far using it has been great, albeit I’ve had to tell it to not open my Microsoft Word (doc, docx) fields, as I still cling stubbornly to Microsoft Office as I already have it installed. It does its job of editing PDF quite well, which is why I keep it around.
InkScape will be especially of interest to Graphic artiste, as it uses the W3C standard SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) file format and can actually act as replacement for Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, to name a few Graphic Editing software packages.
I’ve already had it installed on my laptop, as my next publication as a paid content writer (Deer, 2015, September 16) online will be to make one such Adult Colouring Book via a collaboration with an Edna Manley Graphics Arts Student!
PDFMate Free PDF Converter is a lot like AbleWord, but with the extra feature of bulk publishing. It can convert hundred of documents in Microsoft Word (doc, docx), Rich Text (rtf), Plain Text (txt) and HTML (html, htm) into PDF accurately and quickly.
Finally, Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2013 is a full featured Microsoft Office replacement. Not only does it convert Microsoft Office documents like AbleWord, but it can also comes with a built in Replacements for Word, Powerpoint and Excel with Kingsoft Writer, Kingsoft Presentation and Kingsoft Spreadsheet.
It’s a great professional freeware step away from Microsoft Office and has the added bonus of being able to read, edit and convert Microsoft Word (doc, docx), Rich Text (rtf), Plain Text (txt) and HTML (html, htm) into PDF and also save in its proprietary Kingsoft Office document format to make it harder for persons to steal your professional documents.
Dear reader, with these replacement for Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat DC that can edit PDF on the cheap and yet make you look professional, you’ll wonder why you’ve never thought of making the switch to any of these amazing software programs!
- Serea, R. (2012, March 31). Top 3 free programs to edit, convert or create PDF Files. Retrieved from http://www.neowin.net/news/top-3-free-programs-to-edit-convert-or-create-pdf-files
- Deer, L. (2014, February 7). How to find great Freeware Replacement Software for Default Windows Software. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-find-great-freeware-replacement.html
- Deer, L. (2015, July 18). How Adults Colouring Books is Play Time with Visual Arts. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/07/18/how-adults-colouring-books-is-play-time-with-visual-arts/
- Deer, L. (2015, July 27). How to remove Image Backgrounds to make an e-book cover. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/07/27/how-to-remove-image-backgrounds/
- Deer, L. (2015, July 28). How to Create and Edit PDF Documents. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/07/28/create-edit-pdf-documents/
- Deer, L. (2015, August 8). How and Where to Self-Publish and promote your e-Book as an Indie Writer. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/how-to-self-publish-promote-e-books-indie-writer/
- Deer, L. (2015, September 10). Why Apple iPhone 6S, Apple TV, Apple iPad Pro with Pencil spells Success. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/why-apple-iphone-6s-apple-tv-apple-ipad-pro-with-pencil-spells-success/
- Deer, L. (2015, September 16). How Jamaicans can make money online – Content Blogging and Writing Books. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/09/16/content-blogging-and-writing-books/