Apple, eager to capitalize on the feel good atmosphere of the Apple iPhone 6S and 6S Plus launch (Deer, 2015, September 10) on Wednesday September 9th 2015, has dropped the price of their Cloud Storage once more.
The price drops, which came into effect on Wednesday September 16th 2015, the same date (Tibken, 2015, September 16) that Apple launched Apple iOS 9.
The new iCloud Prices are as follows:
- Free 5GB
- $0.99 per month for 20GB to 50GB
- $2.99 per month for 200GB
- $9.99 per month for 1TB
Please note that Apple has total remove the 500GB option; that’s just too small for serious cloud storage enthusiasts!! Also, add to these prices VAT (Value added Tax) if you live (Tung, 2015, September 17) in any of the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.
Apple iCloud – Free is small and Paid is still expensive
Apple is also still clinging stubbornly to its 5GB free option (Statt, 2015, September 16), which is 10GB lower than Google Drive (Deer, 2013, May 19) and even Microsoft’s OneDrive (Deer,2014, June 24) but better than the 2GB offered by Dropbox.
Also some of the paid Cloud storage alternatives from Microsoft and Amazon are way cheaper (Fleishman, 2015, September 20) as the table below clearly states:
How to upgrade your Apple iCloud Plan
Upgrading is dead simple on your Apple iPhone as well:
- Go to Settings
- Select iCloud
- Select Manage Storage
- Select Change Storage Plan or Buy More Storage
You can make the change via your Apple iCloud Account on your Desktop computer (Deer, 2015, February 19) as well. Once your Scotia VISA Debit (Deer, 2012, January 23) or CIBC VISA Debit card has cash on it, my fellow Jamaicans, you can upgrade or downgrade your Cloud Storage options straight from your Apple iPhone.
- Deer, L. (2012, January 23). ScotiaBank’s VISA Debit Card – Jamaica’s Online E-Commerce Renaissance. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/scotiabank-visa-debit-card-jamaica/
- Deer, L. (2013, May 19). Google Drive, the Dropbox clone, now ups the ante to 15GB of Free Storage during Google I/O. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/google-drive-15gb-of-free-storage/
- Deer, L. (2014, June 24). Microsoft rewards OneDrive users with 15GB Free Storage – How Office 365 users can get 1TB Free Storage as they Chase Google Drive. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/06/microsoft-rewards-onedrive-users-with.html
- Deer, L. (2015, February 19). Apple iWorks for iCloud Beta now Free for Windows, Linux OS and Google Chrome OS. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/apple-iworks-for-icloud-beta-free-windows-linux-google-chrome-os/
- Deer, L. (2015, September 10). Why Apple iPhone 6S, Apple TV, Apple iPad Pro with Pencil spells Success. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/why-apple-iphone-6s-apple-tv-apple-ipad-pro-with-pencil-spells-success/
- Tibken, S. (2015, September 16). Apple’s iOS 9 arrives, while Watch OS 2 faces delay. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-ios-9-is-now-here-though-watch-os-2-faces-delay/
- Statt, N. (2015, September 16). Apple’s cheaper iCloud storage plans are now available. Retrieved from http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/16/9341083/apple-icloud-storage-plans-cheaper
- Tung, L. (2015, September 17). Apple rolls out cheaper iCloud Storage prices across the globe. Retrieved from http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-rolls-out-cheaper-icloud-storage-prices-across-the-globe/
- Fleishman, G. (2015, September 20). Comparing iCloud’s new lower prices to the competition. Retrieved from http://www.macworld.com/article/2984743/storage/comparing-iclouds-new-lower-prices-to-the-competition.html