You may have read my article on how to make free international Calls (Deer, 2015, January 18) to not only USA and Canada but also all over the world.
Well, there is another option for Jamaicans to make International Calls (Deer, 2015, February 22) and that is the Google Hangouts Dialer. You may not know Google Hangouts, that little part of the Google+ Network that was separated and used to replace Google Voice (Deer, 2014, August 4) in March 2014.
Google Voice, meanwhile has been promoted to Google’s latest venture, Google Fi (Deer, 2015, May 10), a MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) that uses Wi-Fi in ear with spotty cellular coverage. It’s rolling out with Google’s latest series of flagship Nexus smartphones, the Nexus 5X and the Nexus 6P (Reardon, 2015, September 29) sport Google Android 6 Marshmallow and support for Google Fi.
I’m expecting that this may soon be coming to Jamaica, seeing as Digicel has basically declared war against Google (Deer, 2015, October 1) by blocking Google ads on their Network.
So with the quick update aside, how do you use Google Hangout Dialer to make phone calls?
How to use Google Hangouts Dialer to make free International Calls
Google Hangouts Dialer allows you to make free Calls to US and Canada, with a few destinations costing just US$0.01 (JA$1.19) per minute, which is very reasonable.
Just in case, though, make sure you’re Scotia VISA Debit Card (Deer, 2012, February 13) or CIBC VISA Debit Card has enough credit to make those very reasonable US$0.01 (JA$1.19) per minute calls. You can also call any International destination for rates as low as US$0.01 (JA$1.19) per minute as well, making this a prefect replacement for (Deer, 2015, January 18) MagicApp and Call+.
Sorry, Apple iPhones users, but Google Android Dialer only works with Android smartphones!
Here’s how to start using the Google Hangouts Dialer:
- Download and install the Google Hangouts Dialer App
- Open the Google Hangouts Dialer App.
- Access the Dialer tab
- Type the person’s name or phone number. You may see Google access your phones Contact list
- Select the required number from the list or dial the number
- Dial the phone number you’d like to call
- Touch the phone icon to put the call through
Make sure before you attempt to make calls that you have 3G or 4G LTE Internet connectivity or at least Wi-Fi Internet to make calls. As I’d mentioned before some destination within and outside of the US and Canada require you to pay!
So make sure you’re Scotia VISA Debit Card (Deer, 2012, February 13) or CIBC VISA Debit Card has enough credit to top up your Google account!
That’s it folks. Sharing is caring so share this post will all of your friends in Jamaica who need to make free International Call to the USA and Canada or don’t mind spending a dollar or two.
Here’s the link:
- Deer, L. (2012, February 13). How to use Scotia VISA Debit Card Online. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/how-to-use-scotia-visa-debit-card-online/
- Deer, L. (2014, August 4). Google merges Google Voice into Google+ Hangouts – How to make Free US and Canada Calls with Google Voice in Hangouts App. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/08/google-merges-google-voice-into-google.html
- Deer, L. (2015, February 22). How to make free Google International Calls with Google Hangouts – Free Calling for Laptop, Google Android and iOS. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/02/Free-International-Calls-Google-Hangouts.html
- Deer, L. (2015, January 18). How to make Free International Calls to Landlines and Mobiles Anywhere in the World. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/how-to-make-free-international-calls-to-landlines-and-mobiles-anywhere-in-the-world/
- Deer, L. (2015, May 10). Google’s Project Fi Network – How @Google Fi’s @Sprint and @TMobile MVNO will force @ATT and @Verizon to join their VoLTE Forces. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/05/Google-Project-Fi-Network-Sprint-TMobile-ATT-Verizon-Google-Hangouts.html
- Deer, L. (2015, October 1). Why Digicel blocking Google ads may be the rise of Digicel App World. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/why-digicel-blocking-google-ads-may-be-the-rise-of-digicel-app-world/
- Reardon, M. (2015, September 29). Google’s new Nexus phones will work on its Project Fi network. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/googles-new-nexus-phones-to-work-on-project-fi/