Skype is now the Video Calling tool from Microsoft (Deer, 2012, June 21) that many with a smartphone and access to free Wi-Fi (Deer, 2015, July 24) cannot live without. Not only can you video chat but like Google Hangouts (Deer, 2015, October 4), you can make group calls (Deer, 2014, April 29) to your team and organize them all from your smartphone!
Especially if you have a smartphone, you’ll realize a lot of Microsoft products such as Microsoft OneDrive (Deer, 2014, September 15), Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint (Deer, 2014, November 8) and Microsoft Office Lens (Deer, 2015, April 12) are hard to live without as a MICO University College student!
But some of your friends might not share your passion for Skype and may not have the App or have registered for the Skype for Web (Deer, 2014, November 24).
So is there a way for Skype’s 3 billion users (Hachman, 2015, October 15), including Jamaican students locally and abroad to connect to others without them having to install the Skype app or register to use the Skype for Web service?
How to use Skype hyperlinks and talk to anyone even without Skype
Yes there is indeed a way to do that; sent them a hyperlink!
This is a feature that’s already on other competing Video Calling apps for Google Android and Apple iOS (Stella, 2014, August 16) such as OoVoo, Google Hangouts, Viber, Camfrog, Fring, QikShare and Apple’s FaceTime.
Skype announced this feature on Thursday October 15th 2015 in a Blog post entitled A new, easier way to start a Skype conversation and invite anyone to join, which details the new feature.
This is very similar to the app Kaboom (Deer, 2015, August 17) that allows you to send Self-destructing messages to anyone on any Social media platform, be it email, Facebook, Messenger (Deer, 2015, April 12), Twitter or WhatsApp.
As of writing this, Skype is now available to US and UK users (Warren, 2015, October 15), with the rest of the world getting access to this feature in the coming days, so Jamaicans may not be able to use it yet. But once you get the update on your smartphone, using it is a snap.
Just make sure to adjust the following before you start sending out links for video calling:
- Rename your conversation so that recipient know it’s from you
- Enable/Disable Chat History in Settings as being available for participants
- Adjust Notifications settings if you’re recipients are Desktop users
Then do the following to place your call:
- Click the +New button on Skype for Windows, Mac, or the Web.
- Copy the URL that appear
- Share with friends or colleagues who are not on Skype
- Friend and colleagues click on the URL and initiate Skype conversation
Your friends and colleagues may have to wait awhile and plugins need to be installed to enable voice and Video Calling albeit the option to text is immediately available. Make sure that they have smartphones that have a front-facing camera that’s suitable for Video Calling.
Once they’ve chosen a username so that you can identify them then it’s off to Skyping!
Skype has finally stepped into the 21st Century with this feature that makes it possible for Jamaicans with FLOW Internet (Deer, 2014, July 8) or access to really good free Wi-Fi (Deer, 2015, July 24) to make free Skype Video calls and friends and family abroad.
Here’s the link:
- Cozma, N. (2015, October 16). Invite anyone to chat on Skype with a link. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/how-to/invite-anyone-to-chat-on-skype-with-a-link/
- Deer, L. (2012, June 21). Skype’s Ads on Free VoIP heralds coming of Free Mobile VoIP – Video Calls not problem as LIME LTE soon tun up. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2012/06/skypes-ads-on-free-voip-heralds-coming.html
- Deer, L. (2014, April 29). How to make a Free Group Call in Skype – Google+ officially a Ghost Town Again as Microsoft gears up for WhatsApp free VoIP Calling in June 2014. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-to-make-free-group-call-in-skype.html
- Deer, L. (2014, July 8). FLOW rolls out Hosted PBX – How 100 MBs FLOW Ultra can power a Private WiMaX Community Network. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/07/flow-rolls-out-hosted-pbx-how-100-mbs.html
- Deer, L. (2014, November 24). Skype for Web Beta allows Skype Calling in Google Chrome – Skype for Business replaces Lync as Skype for Web Beta finally allows Chromebooks to use Skype. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/11/skype-for-web-beta-allows-skype-calling.html
- Deer, L. (2014, November 8). Microsoft Office 365 goes Freemium Model – One Becomes Three as Word, Excel and PowerPoint with US$6.99 monthly to remove Restrictions. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/11/microsoft-office-365-goes-freemium.html
- Deer, L. (2014, September 15). Microsoft OneDrive finally Breaks Free – 10GB Uploading and Sharing with drag-and-drop that’s great for Streaming larger files. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/09/microsoft-onedrive-finally-breaks-free.html
- Deer, L. (2015, April 12). Microsoft Office Lens OCR Scanner converts images to Microsoft Office Documents. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/microsoft-office-lens-ocr-scanner-word-excel-powerpoint-onenote/
- Deer, L. (2015, April 12). Now Facebook has a Messenger website for your Desktop. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/now-facebook-has-a-messenger-website-for-your-desktop/
- Deer, L. (2015, August 17). How Kaboom is the Kim Possible of Self-Destructing Instant Messaging. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/how-kaboom-kim-possible-self-destructing-instant-messaging/
- Deer, L. (2015, July 24). How WiFiMapper can locate Free and Password-protected Wi-Fi. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/how-wifimapper-can-locate-free-and-password-protected-wi-fi/
- Deer, L. (2015, October 4). How to make free International Calls using Google Hangouts Dialer. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/how-to-make-free-international-calls-using-google-hangouts-dialer/
- Hachman, M. (2015, October 15). Skype for all: Microsoft lets users send direct links to chat with anyone via Skype. Retrieved from http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993894/software-web/skype-for-all-microsoft-lets-users-send-direct-links-to-chat-with-anyone-via-skype.html
- Perez, S. (2015, October 15). Skype Now Lets Anyone Join A Chat Even If They Don’t Have An Account. Retrieved from http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/15/skype-now-lets-anyone-join-a-chat-even-if-they-dont-have-an-account/
- Stella, R. (2014, August 16). The 9 best video chat applications for Android and iPhone. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-video-chat-apps-android-iphone/
- Warren, T. (2015, October 15). Skype embraces group chat to let anyone join a conversation on the web. Retrieved from http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/15/9540185/skype-group-chat-conversations-feature