“It’s the marriage of knowledge, the marriage of research and development. For TAG Heuer this is a milestone for our brand but also a milestone for the Swiss watch industry”
CEO of TAG Heuer Jean-Claude Biver at a press conference in New York City on Monday November 9th 2015 to launch the TAG Heuer Connected Watch
TAG Heuer, in partnership with Google (Deer, 2015, April 5), has finally thrown their hat into the smartwatch ring as promised with the US$1500 TAG Heuer Connected Watch (Goldman & Graziano, 2015, November 9) as shown below.
TAG Heuer Connected Watch is surprisingly no different from most Android Wear smartwatch on the market and their strategy is very similar to Huawei Watch (Deer, 2015, October 13); take an old design and add some precious metals to Intel-inside guts (Lalwani, 2015, November 10) add value and create that sense of style and elegance.
TAG Heuer Connected Watch – The Emperor’s new Clothes
The body is made of Grade 2 titanium and its 12.8mm thick with a weight of 52 grams. This is clearly a man’s watch as the 46mm Sapphire crystal display has a 360×360-pixel resolution suggests!
TAG Heuer has multiple watch faces (Seifert, 2015, November 9) in TAG Heuer’s classic black, white and blue throwback style to their analog mechanical counterparts:
- Standard 3-hand dial
- World time face
You can download other Watch faces from the Android Watch Store (yes that exists?) but I’m sure you bought the TAG Heuer for the classical looks, not for the face that it can become any other watch.
The band is made from vulcanized rubber with a grade 2 titanium folding clasp. It comes in a variety of colours to suit every taste:
It’s running Google’s Android Wear OS (Deer, 2015, September 5), so it can work with both the Apple iPhone and Google Android smartphones. It’s also running a 1.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Atom processor which is supported by a 1GB of RAM and 4GB of storage, fairly large for a smartwatch.
With virtually nothing inside of the watch that’s Swiss, this is TAG Heuer admitting that they’re facing up to the fact that the Apple Watch is a serious threat (Deer,2015, August 9) not that they’ve reached 7 million sold (Deer, 2015, November 8) according to analyst Canalys.
So is this the best (Lamkin, 2015, November 9) implementation of Google Android Wear being as it’s a dead imitation of an original TAG Heuer mechanical watch?
US$1500 TAG Heuer Connected Watch – Worth its weight in precious metals and jewels
One would think that with so much storage space, it should have the capability to make calls from your. Alas, it’s merely an Android Wear watch with the TAG Heuer’s prestigious name affixed.
It has no cellular capabilities to make calls without a phone, no GPS for tracking pace and distance when running, no NFC (near-field communications) sensor for making mobile payments. It still has the classic TAG Heuer features, that being a timer, alarm and stopwatch and it comes in a variety of colours, it does have an accelerometer and Wi-Fi.
So it can help you with your morning run and make calls once tethered to your phone. However, it can’t help you for very long as the battery life disappoints, giving only 25 hours at normal use.
This is way shorter than the Moto 360 (Deer, 2015, January 7) and Huawei Watch (Deer, 2015, October 13) which can both last nearly two (2) days. The Pebble Time Steel (Deer, 2015, July 26) manages a week on a full charge, making the US$1500 TAG Heuer Connected Watch a costly timepiece to have.
Still, it’s worth its weight in precious metals and jewels, so if you decide to purchase one, make sure you get some insurance and set it aside as a timeless piece of history for your future generations.
- Deer, L. (2015, January 7). US$250 Motorola Moto 360 smartwatch with Android Wear ruined by a slice of Time. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/01/07/us250-motorola-moto-360-smartwatch-with-android-wear-ruined-by-a-slice-of-time/
- Deer, L. (2015, April 5). Apple Watch Appointment Fittings coming Friday April 10th 2015 – Why Apple Appointments sets trend for How to sell a Wearable. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/04/Apple-Watch-appointments-fittings-Google-TAG-Heuer-Intel.html
- Deer, L. (2015, July 26). Pebble Time Steel coming in August 2015 for Busy Fitness Freaks. Retrieved from http://geezam.com/pebble-time-steel-coming-in-august-2015-for-busy-fitness-freaks/
- Deer, L. (2015, August 9). U.S. wristwatch sales in June 2015 dip due to Apple Watch – Why Apple Watch heralds Armageddon for U.S. and Swiss Watchmakers. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/08/US-wristwatch-sales-June-2015-decline-Apple-Watch-NPD-Group.html
- Deer, L. (2015, September 5). Android Wear comes to Apple iOS – How Motorola, LG, Asus and Huawei smartwatches are hot this Christmas 2015. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/09/on-monday-august-31-st-2015-google-made.html
- Deer, L. (2015, October 13). Why US$350 Huawei Watch cannot be used for Sex in the shower. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/10/13/why-us350-huawei-watch-cannot-be-used-for-sex-in-the-shower/
- Deer, L. (2015, November 8). 7 million Apple Watch sold in Q3 2015 – Why Samsung, Asus, Huawei, LG and Motorola smartwatches need longer battery life. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/11/7-million-Apple-Watch-sold-Q3-2015.html
- Goldman, J., Graziano, D. (2015, November 9). TAG Heuer Connected Watch brings Android Wear to the luxury market (hands-on). Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/tag-heuer-connected-watch/
- Lamkin, P. (2015, November 9). First impressions: Tag Heuer Connected is the best built Android Wear smartwatch. Retrieved from https://www.wareable.com/android-wear/tag-heuer-connected-review-2015
- Seifert, D. (2015, November 9). Android Wear’s first luxury smartwatch is the $1,500 Tag Heuer Connected Watch. Retrieved from http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/9/9695842/tag-heuer-connected-luxury-smartwatch-android-wear
- Lalwani, M. (2015, November 10). TAG Heuer’s Connected smartwatch looks like an actual watch. Retrieved from http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/09/tag-heuer-connected-watch/