“This new factory will increase our capacity more than tenfold with the investment. We are really moving from a modular-based production to linear based, so rather than us doing batch-type processing, we are going to be moving on a line”
TIHL’s CEO Marcus Simmondson commenting on Tortuga International Holdings Limited move to Retirement Road facility
While Star Wars is coming to the Big Screen on Friday December 2015 (Deer, 2015, September 3), a Cake Wars is brewing in Jamaica.
Montego bay-based TIHL (Tortuga International Holdings Limited) makers of that delicious Tortuga Rum cake will be moving into their newly renovated Retirement Road (Gordon, 2015, December 2) on property owned by parent company JPG (Jamaica Producers Group).
Tortuga International Holdings Limited was founded 31 years ago in the Cayman Islands by Jamaica-born Captain Robert Hamaty and wife, Carlene and produces the following products:
- Chocolate rum turtles with sea salt
- Rum balls
- Rum fudge
- Caribbean sauces
- Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee
- Rum-flavoured gourmet treats
The company franchises most of its operations via associates, with sales via international retail outlets and gift shops. Some of their locations include:
So why are they coming to Kingston?
Tortuga International Holdings Limited comes to Kingston – More Tortuga Rum Cake for Caribbean export
So far they’ve blow some US$1 million on their 15,000 square foot facility, which will help them move from Montego Bay to Kingston:
- Speed baking lines
- House warehousing
- Distribution and administrative facilities
The intend to increase staff by 22% retaining some seventeen (17) employees from their Montego Bay location, so job hunter look out!
With that much space and their state-of-the-art equiptment, they plan to produce some 2 million pounds of Tortuga Rum Cake annually. Interestingly, like their counterpart Honey Bun (Deer, 2015, December 3) they’re expanding into exporting their Tortuga Rum Cake to the Caribbean islands, specifically St Thomas, St Martin and the Dominican Republic.
So will they be competing with other cake makers in Jamaica, such as Honey Bun (Deer, 2015, December 3), who used to be located on Retirement Road?
- Deer, L. (2015, September 3). US$149 BB-8 Ball Robot from Star Wars awakens Midnight September 3rd 2015. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/09/03/us149-bb-8-ball-robot-from-star-wars/
- Gordon, T. (2015, December 2). Tortuga Heading To Cross Roads. Retrieved from http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/business/20151202/tortuga-heading-cross-roads
- Deer, L. (2015, December 3). Why Honey Bun Buccaneer Rum Cake War in Europe and Latin America. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/12/03/why-honey-bun-buccaneer-rum-cake-war-in-europe-and-latin-america/