Nintendo’s first App, far from being a disappointment, may herald a new form of Mobile Social Network I’d like to call a Social Gaming Network.
This as their App, c has amassed some 1 million users in just three days (Barder, 2016 March 20). The App, which was launched on Thursday March 17th 2016 (Whitney, 2016, March 17) is based on the same Mii cartoonish characters you see on some Nintendo Wii Console games.
Miitomo is available for the iPhone, iPad and Android devices only in Japan, is currently the #1 App on both the Apple and Google Play App stores. It’s one of five (5) Apps that Nintendo and DeNa (Deer, 2015, March 20), the mobile game developer Nintendo has partnered, plans to launch (Whitney, 2016, March 17) in 2016.
Miitomo will be available in the US, UK and parts of Europe as time progresses. It’s the first of five Apps, with the rest being gaming apps and it may already be making Nintendo millions of dollars (Kohler, 2016, March 25) from in-App purchases.
So why is this social media game such a success?
Miitomo, Nintendo’s first mobile App – Why Nintendo will make revenue thanks to Wii popularity
It’s free to play and offer in-app purchases, its main bread and butter.
On creation, your Mii asks you a series of questions to build an avatar that matches you characteristics. Then you can roam the world of Miitomo, socializing (Bolton, 2016, March 24) with other characters and learning more about other persons with common interests by also asking them questions.
It seems the game popularity is being propelled by its association with the Nintendo brand. Also, the fact that the Mii in the game are the same characters used on the Nintendo Wii console platform, to many users, this might be a way for them to connect with others in a way that mimics their favourite Console.
Alas, there are no Mii’s that are based on Nintendo characters. But that might soon change, given the fact that Nintendo is now alledgedly testing (Deer, 2016, March 7) their Pokemon Go Augmented Reality Game.
So folks, expect more exciting Apps from Nintendo on the run up to the debut of Pokemon Go!
- Barder, O. (2016 March 20). ‘Miitomo’ Has Amassed Over 1 Million Users In Three Days. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/03/20/miitomo-has-amassed-over-1-million-users-in-three-days/
- Bolton, A. (2016, March 24). Thanks to Miitomo, my Mii is more social than me (hands-on). Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/products/Nintendo-miitomo/
- Deer, L. (2015, March 20). @DeNACorp and Nintendo partner for Smartphone and Tablet Games – Partnership to boost Mobile Games as VR and AR Beckons in 2016. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/03/DeNa-Nintendo-Smartphone-Tablet-VR-AR-Mobile-Games.html
- Deer, L. (2016, March 7).How Pokemon Go field testing going Global might include Jamaica. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2016/03/07/how-pokemon-go-field-testing-going-global-might-include-jamaica/
- Kohler, C. (2016, March 25). Mitomo, Nintendo’s first mobile App, is gonna make bank. Retrieved from http://www.wired.com/2016/03/miitomo-launch/
- Whitney, L. (2016, March 17). Nintendo finally goes mobile with Miitomo. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/Nintendo-miitomo-japan-mobile-App-gaming-Mii/