Musicians, my favourite place to search for music just got an upgrade you’ll like.
SoundCloud is launching a new paid tier called SoundCloud Go (Hall, 2016, March 29) that a direct challenge to Apple Music’s 10 million paid subscriber army (Deer, 2016, January 22) and Spotify growing fanbase.
A recent partnership with the big three Music Labels means that the site, popular with indie musicians, can unleash their catalogue of 125 million tracks to their 175 million users for a monthly fee of US$9.99.
This new paid tier is only available in the US and gives subscribers the following features:
- Ad-free listening
- Offline sync
- Music from all three major labels
Fret not freeloaders; the free streaming option remains. However, musicians can now choose which songs you have to pay to stream or download after the free thirty-day trial.
So what has changed with SoundCloud Go?
SoundCloud Go a partnership with the Big Three Labels – Competition against Apple Music and Spotify
SoundCloud is arguably the most legit place to post your music, boasting a large catalogue of unique content to quote co-founder of SoundCloud, Alex Ljung: “We’re one of the biggest music and audio services in the world. We’ve got huge amounts of completely unique content—remixes, mash-ups, podcasts, news…rap battles between Drake and Meek Mills—all that stuff that wouldn’t sit in the normal catalogue.”
SoundCloud’s partners now have an equity stake in the company to mitigate (Messitte, 2016, March 29) against lawsuits relating to royalty payments:
- Universal Music Group
- Sony Entertainment
- Time Warner Music
With SoundCloud Go, they can compete again the likes of Apple Music and Spotify, now with playlists playable in Facebook Messenger (Deer, 2016, March 6), making them competitive with other streaming Services.
- Deer, L. (2016, January 22). How Apple Music’s 10 million paid subscribers will eclipse Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music and Google Play Music by December 2016. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2016/01/Apple-Music-10-million-paid-subscribers.html
- Deer, L. (2016, March 6). How Spotify’s playlist and song sharing in FB Messenger challenges Apple Music. Retrieved from http://geezam.com/how-Spotifys-playlist-and-song-sharing-in-fb-messenger-challenges-apple-music/
- Messitte, N. (2016, March 29). SoundCloud To Launch Paid Tier With Major Label Support — ‘No Comment’ On Equity Stakes. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmessitte/2016/03/29/%E2%80%A8SoundCloud-to-launch-paid-tier-with-major-label-support-no-comment-on-equity-stakes/
- Hall, P. (2016, March 29). SoundCloud officially launches paid subscription service, SoundCloud Go. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/SoundCloud-launches-paid-subscription-service/