This is after only two (2) months out in the wild, with data from a SurveyMonkey Intelligence report (Perez, 2016, May 27) suggesting the churn rate of the app is 50%. Simply put, 50% of people who originally downloaded the game the first week didn’t open and play it the following week.
This is terrible especially when the weekly activity stats for the Miitomo Social Network is compared to other popular apps like Candy Crush Jelly Saga and Clash of Titans.
- 20% weekly churn rate for Clash of Titans
- 23% weekly churn rate for Candy Crush Jelly Saga
- 48% weekly churn rate for Miitomo
The number of users actively engaging in the app has also dropped considerably for the peak of 10 million unique users worldwide in May 2016:
- 22% of peak users for Clash of Titans
- 32% of peak users for Clash of Titans
- 74% of peak users for Miitomo
This translates to about 2.5 million active users. Clearly Nintendo just launched Miitomo to fill a gap and didn’t intend it to be a serious Mobile Social Network. If they’d upgraded it with Nintendo Avatar characters (Deer, 2016, March 7) and made it into a Mobile Social Game, then it would have a much higher level of engagement.
Still, I’m sitting patiently and awaiting the real game from Nintendo, that being Pokemon Go (Deer, 2016, March 7), now that testing has started in the Japan, Australia, New Zealand and now the US of A (CNET News, 2016, May 25) and may soon come to the Caribbean.
- Deer, L. (2016, March 7). How Pokemon Go field testing going Global might include Jamaica. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2016/03/07/how-pokemon-go-field-testing-going-global-might-include-jamaica/
- Deer, L. (2016, March 26). How Nintendo’s Miitomo Social Gaming Network amassed 1 million users in 3 days. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/how-nintendos-Miitomo-social-gaming-network-amassed-1-million-users-in-3-days/
- CNET News. (2016, May 25). Pokemon Go US beta begins, battle mechanics detailed. Retrieved from http://www.cnet.com/news/pokemon-go-us-beta-begins-battle-mechanics-detailed/
- Perez, S. (2016, May 27). Nintendo’s first mobile game Miitomo is turning into a ghost town. Retrieved from http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/26/nintendos-first-game-Miitomo-is-turning-into-a-ghost-town/