Gaming benefits immensely from crowdfunding (Martindale, 2016, June 3) which is an excellent way to fund your gaming idea.
But wouldn’t it surprise you to learn that the majority of games crowdfunded on Kickstarter (Wong, 2016, May 20) are in fact board games?
According to market research firm ICv2:
- US$2.4 billion raised on Kickstarter since its inception
- 107,000 different projects were fully funded.
- US$500 million in funding raised by games
- US$265 million in funding raised by board games
Check out the graph below as it makes these stats quite plain; Board Games rule!
That US$265 million is a good 53% of the US$500 million raised to fund games overall. These Board Games generate by some 2.2 million backers pledging approximately US$120 per backer.
This total is represented by such board games as:
- Blood Bowl 2
- Space Hulk
- Tabletop Simulator
Some popular video games like The Witcher series and Dark Souls have made board games, with Dark Souls raising some US$5.48 million in their crowdfunding campaign. So even in a world dominated by smartphones, which are addictive (Deer, 2015, June 13) and may be interfering with our sex lives and our ability to reason (Deer, 2015, August 22), it’s good to see that playing a board game with friends is a popular past time that may be on the rise.
Possibly too, Jamaicans can benefit by developing exciting board games via crowdfunding that can be sold as educational toys or board games that friends and family can enjoy.
- Deer, L. (2015, June 13).How to deal with Smartphone Addiction – Trend towards Wearables indicates Smartphone Addiction getting worse. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/06/Smartphone-addiction-Wearables-trend.html
- Deer, L. (2015, August 22). Kaspersky Lab Smartphone Dependency Study – Why smartphones are killing Human Reasoning, Relationships as AI Sex partners coming. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/08/Kaspersky-Lab-Smartphone-Dependency-Study.html
- Martindale, J. (2016, June 3). Board Games remain a hugely popular pastime, and have the crowdfunding to prove it. Retrieved from http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/board-games-video-games-crowdfunding-kickstarter/
- Wong, J.I. (2016, May 20). Old-fashioned board games, not tech, are attracting the most money on Kickstarter. Retrieved from http://qz.com/688843/old-fashioned-board-games-not-tech-are-attracting-the-most-money-on-kickstarter/