SanDisk, a company owned by Western Digital, has finally done it, to the delight of Photographers and Videographers everywhere.
They’ve announced plans to launch their 256GB microSDXC UHS-I cards in August 2016 (Peter, 2016, June 29), a little after Samsung launched their 256GB UFS UFS Cards (Vincent, 2016, July 7). The Sandisk version comes in the following configurations:
- 256GB SanDisk Ultra microSD
- 256GB SanDisk Extreme microSD
At a price of US$150, it’s a little on the pricey side. But it fills up the family tree quite nicely!
So what’s the difference between the two SD Cards from Western Digital?
256GB SanDisk microSD Card – The Difference is a Read/Write Affair
The difference between the 256GB SanDisk Ultra microSD and the 256GB SanDisk Extreme microSD is the minimum write speed (Hruska, 2016, June 29).
Both the 256GB SanDisk Ultra microSD and the 256GB SanDisk Extreme microSD have the same Read/write speeds:
- 100MB/s read, 90MB/s write for the 256GB SanDisk Extreme microSD
- 95MB/s read and 95MB/s write for the 256GB SanDisk Ultra microSD
However, the 256GB SanDisk Extreme microSD guarantees 30MB/s minimum sustained sequential write speed while the Premium card offers just a 10MB/s guarantee. For the reason, SanDisk recommends the 256GB SanDisk Extreme microSD for 4K work while the 256GB SanDisk Ultra microSD is best for 1080p work!
Also the 256GB SanDisk Ultra microSD makes its debut in August 2016, while the 256GB SanDisk Extreme microSD will arrive in the last Quarter of 2016, making them a great gift for that Photographer in your life.
The 256GB SanDisk Ultra microSD would satisfy any photographer or videographer.
This is especially true operators of drones used for photography, as this allow them to take more film quality video and photos as DJI exec Eli Harris points out, quote: “At DJI we focus on creating easy-to-use drone technology for consumers to capture everyday exploration and photography, and our customers need quick and reliable access to their high quality aerial footage. With the new 256GB SanDisk microSD UHS-I cards, they now have greater flexibility to capture their content on high-performance storage and the peace of mind knowing they can continue shooting when it matters most.”
SanDisk 256GB microSD – Price and Convenience Meet for Portable Video and Photo Storage
It is true that you can get 1TB External Storage Drives that cost less and just dump all your photos from your Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone (Deer, 2015, August 1) or Samsung NX Camera (Deer, 2015, May 12) to that External Drive when your current SD Card get full.
However, convenience is key; the bigger the better, especially if you’re into Drone Photography!
Combined with Hydrogen fuel cells (Deer, 2015, November 15) and mini rotary engines such as LiquidPiston’s X Mini Wankel Engine (Deer, 2016, July 4), expect drones that can stay aloft longer and take higher resolution images and 4K video.
Hopefully, the prices will come down to a level us mere mortal and non-photography and videography buffs that only snap selfies can afford. All to make your smartphone have the storage space (Lee, 2016, June 28) as a Laptop!
- Deer, L. (2015, May 12). Samsung NX1 wins 10th TIPA award. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/samsung-nx1-wins-10th-tipa-award/
- Deer, L. (2015, August 1). How to take High Quality Photographs with the Samsung Galaxy S. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/how-to-take-high-quality-photographs-with-the-samsung-galaxy-s6/
- Deer, L. (2015, November 15). Why Intelligent Energy’s Drone Hydrogen Fuel Cell will make 2 Hour flights a reality. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2015/12/Intelligent-Energy-Drone-Hydrogen-Fuel-Cell-2-Hour-flights.html
- Lee, K. (2016, June 28). SanDisk’s new 256GB microSD makes your phone as spacious as a laptop. Retrieved from http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/storage/sandisk-s-new-256gb-microsd-makes-your-phone-as-spacious-as-a-laptop-1324099
- Peter, (2016, June 29). SanDisk unveils 256GB microSD cards in Ultra and Extreme forms. Retrieved from http://www.gsmarena.com/sandisk_unveils_256gb_microsd_cards_in_ultra_and_extreme_forms-blog-19113.php
- Hruska. J. (2016, June 29). Western Digital launches new SanDisk 256GB microSDXC memory cards. Retrieved from http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/230987-western-digital-launches-new-sandisk-256gb-microsdxc-memory-cards
- Deer, L. (2016, July 4). How LiquidPiston’s X Mini Wankel Engine means Rotary Engines for Drones, Range Extender and Hydrogen Vehicles. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2016/07/LiquidPiston-X-Mini-Wankel-Engine.html
- Vincent, J. (2016, July 7). Samsung unveils world’s first UFS memory cards — the successor to microSD. Retrieved from http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/7/7/12115616/samsung-ufs-removable-memory-cards