Hello, it’s back to school again. That means doing assignments on your Laptop and getting viruses via infected thumb drives and hackers trying to steal your Scotia VISA Debit Card (Murray, 2016, September 20) that you use for online purchases.
Fortunately, there are some portable antivirus programs (Deer, 2014, May 7) that you can keep on your Thumb drive for situations such as an Internet Cafe that doesn’t support installation of programs or scanning a non-windows machines or device.
Hence this handy list of free portable antivirus (Wallen, 2015, October 16) should do the trick, with many of them being relatively new (Beebom, 2016, April 18) to the antivirus scene. Many of them are really malware removal programs (Tengyuen, 2016, May 24), as the line between viruses and programs build with malicious intent:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner
- Avira PC Cleaner
- Intel’s McAfee GetSusp
- Comodo Cleaning Essentials
- Kaspersky Security Scan
- Symantec Norton Power Eraser
- Dr.Web CureIt!
- Emsisoft Emergency Kit
- Sophos Anti-Rootkit Portable
- VIPRE Rescue
- Spybot – Search & Destroy Portable
Keep these on a separate thumb drive that you use to scan PC and Laptop before using them. Cleaning smartphones and tablets may require you finding the app version of these programs or just simply connecting the device to a computer by a microUSB cable and scanning as an external device.
They take a little longer than a typical antivirus and depend heavily on the processor to do their work, so temporarily copying them to the hard drive of the scanned device, if possible, is recommended to make them run faster.
- Deer, L. (2012, July 17). How to recover files made invisible by malware using Fedora and Command. Retrieved from http://geezam.com/how-to-recover-a-files-made-invisible-by-malware-using-fedora-and-command/
- Deer, L. (2013, December 23). How to remove Rootkit Virus or Hidden Folder Virus using Bootable Rescue Discs. Retrieved from http://geezam.com/remove-rootkit-virus-hidden-folder-bootable-rescue-discs/
- Deer, L. (2014, May 7). How to Use Portable Anti-Virus Programs to Remove Viruses from smartphones and Tablets. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2014/05/how-to-use-portable-anti-virus-programs.html
- Wallen, J. (2015, October 16). Five portable antivirus and antimalware tools to carry with you at all times. Retrieved from http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-portable-antivirus-and-antimalware-tools-to-carry-with-you-at-all-times/
- Beebom. (2016, April 18). 6 Best Portable Antivirus Software. Retrieved from http://beebom.com/best-portable-antivirus-software/
- Tengyuen, N. (2016, May 24). 7 Free No Installation Portable USB Antivirus For Removing Scamware And Malware. Retrieved from https://www.geckoandfly.com/9751/free-portable-antivirus-software-microsoft-safety-scanner/
- Murray, G. (2016, September 20). Look out for random emails, it’s phishing season! Retrieved from http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/business/Look-out-for-random-emails–it-s-phishing-season-