Freelancers enjoy a more flexible work schedule. It’s the easiest and fastest ways to start working online with minimal start-up cost.
A freelancer or freelance worker is an independent contractor who is self-employed; in essence you choose the clients you wish to work with and the projects on which you work. Freelancing in some of these popular fields:
- Article writing
- Computer programming
- Event planning
- Graphic design
- Language translating
- Tour guiding
- Video editing
- Video production
- Web design
- Writing e.g. song writing
With no long term commitments to any specific employer, this might seem a bit scary. But freelancing has its benefits both to the employer paying for your time as well as to you the freelancer.
Benefits to the Employer – The Freelancer’s Reverse Benefit
Many employers welcome using freelancers to get work done. This as freelancers save them money as they forgoe having to make a permanent commitment as they do with regular employees. Freelance work offers tremendous advantages and can represent an attractive alternative to a traditional job.
Still, if you plan to quit your traditional job and start a freelance business, know that there is no turning back. The best time to start a business is while you are still traditionally employed and start off on a part-time basis.
If you are considering a freelance career, you should explore the advantages and disadvantages of freelancing.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Freelancing – Working in your flip-flops has its downside
The advantages of freelancing are as follows:
- Building self-asset
- Eliminate commute
- Flexible hours
- Freedom and control
- Global workplace
- Learn new skills
- Relaxed dress code
- Tax benefits
- Unlimited income potential
However, before you make the plunge, consider the disadvantages of being a freelancer:
- Absent Benefits
- Start-up Cash Investment
- Variable Workloads & Income
So how does one become a Freelancer?
How to Become a Freelancer – The Three Step Process to Freedom
The Steps towards becoming a Freelancer are as follows:
- Identify Your Skills
- Create a Portfolio
You’ll find that you have secondary skills that are freelancing opportunities. Identify a market where your expert skills and knowledge can be of value to clients.
Then you need to specialize, which is basically finding your niche. Specialization will make you more attractive to specific groups of clienteles and increase your chance of success. Be good at what you do and love doing what you do; Quality is better than quantity.
Once you’ve done this creating a portfolio of your best work is always a good idea. It is an asset as it demonstrates your skill and proves to clients that you are able to complete projects.
It may be difficult to build a quality portfolio without experience; most artists begin building their portfolios while still in high school and Art College. This gives them a head start over the competition.
So while at college use some of that spare time to start your portfolio. Take pictures of your completed projects, asks your boss for positive feedback to use as testimonials. Doing pro bono (free) work in the beginning to gain necessary experience is good; ensure that you perform your best to receive positive recommendations. Do a lot of volunteer and paid work on the side in exchange for work testimonials from these paying clients.
Produce quality work and you will get quality testimonials and even referrals. Remember, Networking and verbal referrals are the first real advertisements.
Finally you need to do a lot of self-promotion, which can be via Flyers (Deer, 2017, March 26), billboards, Newspaper ads or free ads on websites (Deer, 2017, August 26). Regardless of your expertise, you may have some difficulty in securing jobs. But once you identify what you need to do to attract clients; you will be well on your way.
A few guiding tips in promoting yourself:
- Do research continually to see what kind of pricing your competitors are offering
- Set up a Social Media Presence or Professional website to market yourself and your business to gain more clients
- Constantly contact prospective customers through all the media services at your fingertips
- Present the passion you have for your skill
Becoming a Freelancer in Jamaica – Best Freelancing websites
As usual, you have to have the following things in place:
- Paypal Account (Deer, 2015, September 9) as your main Payment Gateway
- Payoneer Account (Deer, 2015, September 10), an Bank of America Prepaid Debit Card
- Scotia VISA Debit (Deer, 2012, February 13) or CIBC First Caribbean VISA Debit Card
- Broadband Internet at home from FLOW or Digicel Play (Deer, 2016, June 28)
- Notebook or Journal to keep Track of all your Online Accounts and Passwords
- Portfolio of Published Written Work on a blog or Website online i.e. Blogs, e-books
- A VPN (Virtual Private Network) Connection
- A Friend or relative living abroad
You’ll need the Paypal Account (Deer, 2015, September 9) to be able to receive payments from Credit Card purchases (Deer, 2013, September 16) and the Payoneer Account (Deer, 2015, September 10) to be able to spend locally. The Scotia VISA Debit Card (Deer, 2012, February 13) or CIBC First Caribbean VISA Debit Card is just to verify your Paypal Account.
Broadband Internet at home from FLOW or Digicel Play (Deer, 2016, June 28) is a must. A friend or relative abroad with a US address is also great. But you can easily use your ShipMe (Deer, 2013, September 15) address to sign up for some of these surveys and a free VPN on smartphones and now Desktop computers (Deer, 2016, September 20) thanks to the Opera Browser and Free VPN Platforms (Deer, 2017, June 11) now coming to light.
So now you know how to start, here’s a list of the best Freelancing website that you can sign up to and start earning:
If you are a blogger, you’ll love these sites:
Some of these websites offer employment and as such are really part-time employment; basically an employed freelancer:
Last Words- Fiverr is a good place to start Freelancing
Most of them pay via Paypal (Deer, 2017, April 14) which allows you to request a check but some of them do direct wire transfers or Moneygram payments.
I’m currently on Fiverr as the Jamaican Rabbit where I make about US$100 on average per month doing Press Releases for this very same blog. As with any online job, you have to promote your weblink for your online profile to get work; having a website as a portfolio of works helps immensely.
Sharing is caring so share this with as many of your friend who plan to switch to becoming Freelancers!!
- Deer, L. (2012, February 13). How to use Scotia VISA Debit Card Online. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/how-to-use-scotia-visa-debit-card-online/
- Deer, L. (2013, September 15). How to ship things to Jamaica after you’re purchase them online. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/shop-online-ship-to-jamaica/
- Deer, L. (2013, September 16). How Jamaicans can set up a Payment Gateway in order to process Credit Card purchases – E-Commerce the main Catalyst for Increasing Jamaica’s Internet Penetration. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2013/09/how-jamaicans-can-set-up-payment.html
- Deer, L. (2015, June 8). How Jamaicans can make Money from Referral Websites. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/06/08/jamaicans-money-referral-websites-2/
- Deer, L. (2015, September 9). How Jamaicans can make money online – Setting up a Paypal Account. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/how-jamaicans-can-make-money-online-setting-up-a-paypal-account/
- Deer, L. (2015, September 10). How Jamaicans can make money online – Setting up a Payoneer Prepaid Mastercard. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/setting-up-payoneer-prepaid-mastercard/
- Deer, L. (2016, June 28). Digicel Play has 35,000 customers as FLOW Jamaica Horizon fails to impress. Retrieved from http://geezam.com/digicel-play-35000-customers/
- Deer, L. (2016, September 20). How to get a Free VPN using an Opera Browser. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2016/09/Free-VPN-Opera-Browser.html
- Deer, L. (2017, March 26). How Jamaican can make money online – Flyer Distribution of Shortened URL Links in USA and other Countries. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/03/26/flyer-distribution-shortened-url-links/
- Deer, L. (2017, April 14). How Jamaicans can set up a Paypal account to make money online. Retrieved from http://mythoughtsontechnologyandjamaica.blogspot.com/2017/04/setting-up-paypal-account-jamaica.html
- Deer, L. (2017, June 11). How Jamaicans can find reliable free VPN to work anonymously online. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/06/11/free-vpn-jamaica/
- Deer, L. (2017, August 26). How Jamaicans can advertise for free locally and Internationally. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/08/26/jamaica-online-classifieds-ads/