Hello again, my fellow Jamaicans? Ready to make money online?
If you’ve read my blog article on freelancing (Deer, 2017, September 18), you may be wondering to yourself, are there more profitable and steady freelancing opportunities than those mentioned?
Granted the ones mentioned in my original freelancing article (Deer, 2017, September 18) make money, but that is really passive income; it’s not regular and is not meant to be a job replacement, but a supplement to your current income.
Globally, there is a demand for certain types of Freelancing jobs:
- Customer Service
- Virtual Assistant
- Website Testing
- Website Research
- Social Media Moderator
- Translating Languages
- Transcribing video and audio
These types of work have high demand due to the fact that:
- Volume of work is high all year round
- Requires specialized skills that few possess in any one country
- Traditionally, employees are paid hourly or on a contract basis in a regular job setting
So much so that some Call Centers in the BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) in Jamaica specialized in what is often referred to as backoffice work, such as Kingston Call Center (Deer, 2017, July 23).
They also provide work-at-home jobs for Virtual Assistants, effectively making them a Virtual Call Center Services similar to Versatel Marketing (Deer, 2018, January 6).
Virtual Assistant – Payment and Hardware required
First, before you can work online, a few things are essential:
- Paypal Account (Deer, 2015, September 9) as your main Payment Gateway
- Payoneer Account (Deer, 2015, September 10), an Bank of America Prepaid Debit Card
- Scotia VISA Debit (Deer, 2012, February 13) or CIBC First Caribbean VISA Debit Card
- Broadband Internet at home from FLOW or Digicel Play (Deer, 2016, June 28)
- Notebook or Journal to keep Track of all your Online Accounts and Passwords
- Portfolio of Published Written Work on a blog or Website online i.e. Blogs, e-books
- A VPN (Virtual Private Network) Connection
- A Friend or relative living abroad
The Paypal Account (Deer, 2015, September 9) allows you to receive payment from clients online. The Payoneer Account (Deer, 2015, September 10) comes with a special Prepaid Mastercard that can also receive payment but allows you to use your earnings locally at any POS (Point of Sale) device or online like a regular Credit Card. The Scotia VISA Debit Card (Deer, 2012, February 13) or CIBC First Caribbean VISA Debit Card is just to verify your Paypal Account.
Broadband Internet at home from FLOW or Digicel Play (Deer, 2016, June 28) is a must. Some jobs, such as a Webcam modelling (Deer, 2016, October 15) and video editing (Deer, 2017, November 8) will require you to have solid Broadband connectivity.
A friend or relative abroad with a US address is also great, but you can easily use your ShipMe (Deer, 2013, September 15) address for the purpose of having a mail-able US based address in case they need to send you an item.
Finally, the VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a must (Deer, 2017, June 11), as you need to mask your country of origin. Once you have these things in place, you’re good to go.
The requirements for the job are quite simple really. They can be split in to two parts:
- Work Qualifications
- Computer and Equiptment
In terms of Work Qualifications, having at least 6 months experience working in a formal Call Center Environment. You’re voice needs to be gentle and you should have a neutral or American accent!!!
The Computer and Equiptment Requirements are a bit more important:
- Desktop Computer or Laptop
- Intel Core i3 Processor
- 4 GB to 8GB RAM
- Google Chrome Browser
- 12MBps or higher Broadband Connection
- UPS (Uninterruptible Power supply) to guard against power cuts
- Headset with noise cancellation microphone
- Work Area designed room fitted with anechoic filters
The work area needs to have noise dampening covering, such as pointed sponge on the walls to eggs carton cases that can reduce reflected noise and external noise. Also, your headset need to be a noise cancelling Headset that filters out external noise as well, as your calls need to sound as if you’re in a quiet office space.
Virtual Assistant – Average pay higher than US$10 per hour
So here’s a list of Virtual Assistant jobs that pay more than $10 per hour:
- Alorica At Home – Hires home phone agents to take in-coming calls and processing orders. Pay is US$7 to US$20 per hour.
- Alpine Access – Hire Customer Service agents in areas such as, tech support, financial, video game support and more. Pay is US$12 per hour and they offer training.
- Asurion – Hires work at home agents for customer service positions in tech support. Pay is US$9 and they offer paid training as well.
- CleverTech – Hires Tech Support for web design and mobile applications. Pay is US$16 per hour.
- Convergys – Hires agents to work from home as an employee. Pay is US$7 an hour and may go up to US$9 an hour.
- Direct Interactions – Hire agents to take calls from motorist who have unpaid parking tickets. This can be a tough one because you will be dealing with difficult callers. You will be paid US$9.25 to start and after training it is US$10. Those who speak two languages including English can earn around $12 to $13 an hour.
- Gengo – Hires translators worldwide. You will be required to speak multiple languages. Pay is said to be US$10 per hour.
- Go Transcript – Hires agents for transcription and data entry jobs. Pay is US$10 per hour with US$5 signup bonus
- Great Virtual Work – Work as sales agents and customer service agent. Pay is US$10 per hour
- LiveOps – Hires agents to take inbound and some outbound calls from home. Pay is said to be US$30 per hour in the top percentile.
- NexRep – Hires agents to work at home taking inbound and outbound calls. Pay is US$5 per hour based on talk time plus commissions and bonuses.
- Rev – Hires freelance transcribers, offers entry level positions. Pay is said to be US$20-US$25 per hour.
- Sitel – Hires home agents for various positions, customer service, tech support, scheduling etc. You will be an employee and not an independent contractor. Pay is US$9-$11 per hour and offer lots of benefit and 401K.
- Teletech – Hires virtual customer service, tech support and sales in US , UK and world wide. They hire agents as employees not Independent Contractors. Pay is said to be US$9-US$10 per hour. You may need landline phone.
- Transcribeme – Hires beginners or entry level transcribers. Pay is US$15 per hour
- Working Solutions – Hire for are in data entry, customer service, tech support and online chat positions. Pay is US$10 per hour
- WorldWide101 – Hires independent contractor job working as their virtual assistant. Pay is US$10 per hour US$15- US$25 per hour.
So these are the websites that provide hourly paid projects and will pay more than US$10 per hour.
The salary is usually sent to you PayPal, Payoneer Card or Western Union Money Transfer is you request. Sharing is caring so share this list with your friends!!!
- Deer, L. (2012, February 13). How to use Scotia VISA Debit Card Online. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/how-to-use-scotia-visa-debit-card-online/
- Deer, L. (2013, September 15). How to ship things to Jamaica after you’re purchase them online. Retrieved from http://www.geezam.com/shop-online-ship-to-jamaica/
- Deer, L. (2015, September 9). How Jamaicans can make money online – Setting up a Paypal Account. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/how-jamaicans-can-make-money-online-setting-up-a-paypal-account/
- Deer, L. (2015, September 10). How Jamaicans can make money online – Setting up a Payoneer Prepaid Mastercard. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/setting-up-payoneer-prepaid-mastercard/
- Deer, L. (2016, June 28). Digicel Play has 35,000 customers as FLOW Jamaica Horizon fails to impress. Retrieved from http://geezam.com/digicel-play-35000-customers/
- Deer, L. (2016, October 15). How Jamaicans can make US$51,000 per month as a Webcam Model. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/webcam-model-jamaica/
- Deer, L. (2016, December 17). How Jamaicans can make US$1000 per month from Online Survey Websites. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2016/12/17/jamaica-online-survey-websites/
- Deer, L. (2017, June 11). How Jamaicans can find reliable free VPN to work anonymously online. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/06/11/free-vpn-jamaica/
- Deer, L. (2017, July 23). How Kingston Call Center is creating the Jamaican Tele-commuting Workplace. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/07/23/kingston-call-center-tele-commuting-workplace/
- Deer, L. (2017, September 18). How Jamaicans can make US$1000 per month as a Freelancer. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/09/18/jamaican-freelancer/
- Deer, L. (2017, November 8). How Jamaicans can money from Transcribing, Captioning and Translating Audio and Video. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2017/11/08/rev-translating-transcribing-captioning/
- Deer, L. (2018, January 6). How Jamaicans can make JA$100,000 in a Virtual Call Center Job at Versatel Marketing. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2018/01/06/versatel-marketing-jamaica/
- Deer, L. (2018, October 15). How Jamaicans can make US$51,000 per month as a Webcam Model. Retrieved from https://lindsworthdeer.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/webcam-model-jamaica/